1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin equivalent circuit

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I really don't see how the Thevenin equivalent circuit is obtained from the one on the left. The way learnt to find Thevenin equivalent circuit considers the circuit network in between 2 nodes. This one appears to have 3 nodes. And why is the thevenin resistance given as though the resistance were connected in parallel? I don't see why they are in parallel.

2. Relevant equations/pictures
    Thevenin equivalence.
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2

CEL

To obtain the open circuit voltage you use a voltage divider with the 10V source and the two resistors, getting 3.33V.

For the equivalent resistance you short circuit the source, so the two resistors are in parallel (the upper terminal of R1 is connected to ground).

4. Jun 18, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Changed image

Yeah, thanks, I think I can see it for the Thevenin resistance. I assume that the above gray box is also equivalent to this:

[​IMG]

But the open circuit voltage is between V1 and Vb or V2 and Vb?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. Jun 19, 2008 #4
    for this circuit there is an expression to calculate v(th)& R(th) which is:
    R(th)=R1//R2
    v(th)=R(th)[(v1/R1)+(v2/R2)]
    where v1=10v,v2=0v
    // means parallel

6. Jun 19, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Where did you get that expression for v(th) from? And more importantly is the open-circuit voltage between V1 and Vb or V2 and Vb? That's all I need to be able to figure out the thevenin voltage.

7. Jun 20, 2008 #6
    v(th) comes from the Voltage divider rule.

v(th) is measured between vb and v2.

8. Jun 20, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

But why isn't it measured between V1 and Vb?

9. Jun 20, 2008 #8

CEL

Because V2 is ground and you want to polarize the transistor, so you are really interested in the voltage between base and emitter: Vbe = Vb - Ve.

10. Jun 21, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

Oh yeah you're right. It's the voltage across the Vbe that's relevant here. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?