Thevenin Equivalent Resistance for a Black Box

In summary: Then calculate the theoretical value.In summary, the theoretical Thevenin equivalent resistance for a black box that I used in an experiment was roughly 4786\Omega. However, I have tried several times to solve the problem, but keep arriving at a theoretical value of around 3511\Omega. That just seems to be a little too low and I think it's because I'm not using the correct nodal method. If I use the nodal method, I get 3784.959 for the theoretical value.
jmcmillian

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the theoretical Thevenin equivalent resistance for a black box that I used in an experiment. The measured Thevenin equivalent resistance was roughly 4786[tex]\Omega[/tex]. However, I have tried several times to solve the problem, but keep arriving at a theoretical value of around 3511[tex]\Omega[/tex]. That just seems to be a little too low...

I have attached the circuit schematic, with resistor values included.
Could someone please look at the problem and see if I am on the right track. If so, any pointers on how I should finish it?

Homework Equations

R[tex]_{Th}[/tex]= V[tex]_{Th}[/tex]/I[tex]_{sc}[/tex]
Resistors in Parallel: R[tex]_{eq}[/tex]= (1/R[tex]_{1}[/tex]+...+1/R[tex]_{n}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
Resistors in Series: R[tex]_{eq}[/tex]=R[tex]_{1}[/tex]+...+R[tex]_{n}[/tex]
Y to Delta Transformation:

The Attempt at a Solution

STEP ONE: R2, R3 in parallel
R23 = [(1/R2)+(1/R3)]^-1 = [(1/9.97k[tex]\Omega[/tex])+(1/1.001k[tex]\Omega[/tex])]^-1 = .9096k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

STEP TWO: R23 IN SERIES WITH R5
R235 = R23 + R5 = .9096k[tex]\Omega[/tex] + 10.0k[tex]\Omega[/tex] = 10.9096k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

STEP THREE: Y TO [tex]\Delta[/tex] TRANSFORM R4, R6, R7
Rc = [(R4*R6)+(R4*R7)+(R6*R7)]/R4 = 24.95k[tex]\Omega[/tex]
Ra = [(R4*R6)+(R4*R7)+(R6*R7)]/R6 = 24.85k[tex]\Omega[/tex]
Rb = [(R4*R6)+(R4*R7)+(R6*R7)]/R7 = 12.39k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

STEP FOUR: Rc PARALLEL to R235
[(1/24.95k[tex]\Omega[/tex] )+(1/10.9096[tex]\Omega[/tex] )]^-1 = 7.59k[tex]\Omega[/tex]

From here, I have tried different combinations of source transformations, converting the delta back to a Y, etc. to try and get an equivalent resistance.

Attachments

• theveninpf.jpg
    theveninpf.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 626
Physics news on Phys.org
If you post your image on a free image hosting site, and put the link here, we won't have to wait for the attachment you already posted to be approved.

The Electrician said:
If you post your image on a free image hosting site, and put the link here, we won't have to wait for the attachment you already posted to be approved.

Thanks for the tip. I've uploaded it:

http://www.mountainescapesproperties.com/theveninpf.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you studied any of the general network solution techniques, such as the nodal method or the loop method?

If you were to use the nodal method, you only have 3 nodes in this circuit, and the solution would be fairly straightforward.

You are assuming the DC voltage source has zero internal resistance, right?

By the way, notice that R2, R3 and R4 are all three in parallel. If you replace then by their equivalent, and replace R5 and R6 by an equivalent, you will have a simple ladder network. You can then work that out very easily, without any need for delta-y or similar transformations.

I get 3784.959 for the theoretical value.

I assume you got your measured value in the lab with a simple ohmmeter measurement. Did you remember to replace the DC voltage with a short circuit before you made your measurement?

The Electrician said:
I get 3784.959 for the theoretical value.

I assume you got your measured value in the lab with a simple ohmmeter measurement. Did you remember to replace the DC voltage with a short circuit before you made your measurement?

Thanks for all of your advice.

I came to my measured value of R_th by measuring the open circuit DC voltage between the terminals of the black box (V_th) and then measuring short circuit DC current between the terminals of the black box (I_sc)
then calculating R_th = (V_th)/(I_sc)...

Well, that should work.

I think if I were you, I would get an ohmmeter and verify that the resistance of each of the resistors in your circuit is what you think it is. Also verify the connections.

What is Thevenin Equivalent Resistance?

Thevenin Equivalent Resistance is a concept in electrical engineering that allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit. It is the equivalent resistance that would produce the same current through a load as the original circuit.

Why is Thevenin Equivalent Resistance useful?

It allows us to analyze and design complex circuits more easily by reducing them to a simpler form. It also helps in troubleshooting and predicting the behavior of the circuit.

How is Thevenin Equivalent Resistance calculated?

The Thevenin Equivalent Resistance is calculated by first removing the load from the original circuit and then finding the equivalent resistance looking into the open terminals. This can be done using Ohm's Law or other circuit analysis techniques.

What is a Black Box in relation to Thevenin Equivalent Resistance?

A Black Box is a term used to describe a circuit or system whose internal workings are unknown or not important for the analysis. In the context of Thevenin Equivalent Resistance, it refers to a complex circuit that can be simplified into an equivalent circuit using this concept.

Are there any limitations to Thevenin Equivalent Resistance?

Yes, Thevenin Equivalent Resistance can only be accurately calculated for linear circuits, meaning circuits that follow Ohm's Law. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, with no changing components or time-varying signals.