How to Find Thevenin and Norton Equivalents with Central Power Source?

• Thread starter huffum
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of Thevenin/Norton Equivalent circuits was discussed in the conversation. The question asked for finding the equivalent circuits for a given circuit, but the placement of the power source in the middle caused confusion. The solution was to simply exchange the positions of the 20 ohm resistor and the 4 amp current source, while keeping the same nodal points. This is a valid method as the circuit behavior remains unchanged.
huffum
Thevenin/Norton Equivalent,PLEASE HELP!

Hi I apolgise for posting a question which is rather simple but I am struggling to grasp the concept of it,ive done many questions like this before,but this one in particular throws me because the power source is always on the left hand side of the circuit,but in this case its in the middle
Any help would be appreciated,this question has to be done by tomorrow so any replies i will be really grateful,thanks

Question
Find the Thevenin and Norton Equivalent circuits for the circuit shown in the picture
the resistors values are in ohms

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• Thevenin Norton.jpg
    Thevenin Norton.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org

Exchange the positions of the 20 ohm resistor and the 4 amp current source. The circuit behavior will be the same but the source will be on the left hand side.

Thanks very much for the reply

The Electrician said:
Exchange the positions of the 20 ohm resistor and the 4 amp current source. The circuit behavior will be the same but the source will be on the left hand side.

is it valid to do that, i do see the circuit is unchanged.

seto6 said:
is it valid to do that, i do see the circuit is unchanged.

It is valid since the two share the same two nodal points before and afterwards (i.e. they're still in parallel)

What is Thevenin/Norton Equivalent?

Thevenin/Norton Equivalent is a widely used method in circuit analysis that simplifies a complex circuit into a single equivalent circuit. It is used to determine the voltage or current at a specific point in the circuit without having to solve the entire circuit.

How is Thevenin/Norton Equivalent calculated?

The Thevenin Equivalent is calculated by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit at the load terminals and the equivalent voltage source. The Norton Equivalent is calculated by finding the equivalent current source and the equivalent resistance at the load terminals.

What are the advantages of using Thevenin/Norton Equivalent?

Thevenin/Norton Equivalent makes circuit analysis easier and faster by reducing a complex circuit into a simpler equivalent circuit. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the circuit for different load conditions.

When is Thevenin/Norton Equivalent useful?

Thevenin/Norton Equivalent is useful when analyzing linear circuits with multiple resistors and sources. It is also helpful in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

Is Thevenin/Norton Equivalent applicable to all types of circuits?

No, Thevenin/Norton Equivalent is only applicable to linear circuits. It is not valid for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors.