Thevenin resistance question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the Thevenin resistance (Rth) in a circuit with both dependent and independent sources. The textbook suggests using a test current source and short circuiting the independent source, but the solution includes the independent source. The conversation also mentions a previous question where the independent source was shorted, and the questioner asks for an explanation for the different methods. The expert is unsure and provides links to two sources with conflicting methods and resulting resistances.
jeffy

Homework Statement

Hi,

I had a question about how my textbook finds the thevenin resistance (Rth) for this question
470.jpg

I have already solved the thevenin voltage(3V) and I have a question about finding the Rth

In the solution using a test current source of 1 A and I have been taught to short circuit
the 4V independent source and find the voltage across the 1A test source

Howver In the solution of the problem,

470d.jpg

The author has kept the 4V independent source instead of shorting it

I was wondering why he/she decided not to short the 4V source

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The method of setting the sources to 0 to find the equivalent resistance works when the circuit contains only independent sources. Since the circuit contains a dependent current source, you have to use another method, like applying a test voltage or current, and with this method, you leave the sources alone.

thanks for the reply
im sorry to bother you but in a previous question the authour short circuited an independent voltage source in a circuit with both dependent and independent sources when finding the thevenin resistance of the circuit, do you mind explaining why they shorted the independent voltage source for the following question

question:
454.jpg

solution:
454d.jpg

I was wondering why in one case the author shortcircuited the independent voltage source and in the other case he kept the source

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to first clarify that the Thevenin resistance (Rth) is the equivalent resistance of a circuit when all voltage sources are replaced by short circuits and all current sources are replaced by open circuits. This means that the Thevenin resistance is the resistance that a load would see when connected to the circuit.

Now, regarding your question about finding the Rth, there are two methods commonly used - the voltage divider method and the test current method. The voltage divider method involves calculating the equivalent resistance of the circuit by dividing the voltage source by the total resistance. On the other hand, the test current method involves using a test current source and finding the voltage across it to determine the Thevenin resistance.

In the solution you mentioned, the author has chosen to use the test current method. When using this method, it is important to note that the 4V independent source cannot be shorted as it is a part of the circuit and will affect the current flow. Instead, the test current source is connected in parallel to the 4V source. This allows for the calculation of the Thevenin resistance by finding the voltage across the test current source.

I hope this explanation helps clarify why the 4V independent source cannot be shorted in this method. It is important to understand both methods and when to use them depending on the circuit at hand.

1. What is the Thevenin resistance?

The Thevenin resistance is a concept commonly used in electrical circuit analysis. It is the equivalent resistance seen from two terminals of a circuit when all voltage sources are replaced with their internal resistances and all current sources are replaced with open circuits.

2. How is Thevenin resistance calculated?

The Thevenin resistance can be calculated by first removing all voltage sources and short-circuiting all current sources in the original circuit. Then, the Thevenin resistance is equal to the resistance seen between the two terminals.

3. Why is Thevenin resistance important?

The Thevenin resistance is important because it simplifies complex circuits into simpler equivalent circuits, making it easier to analyze and calculate the behavior of the circuit. It is also commonly used in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. Can Thevenin resistance be negative?

No, Thevenin resistance cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the equivalent resistance of a circuit and resistance cannot be negative.

5. What is the significance of Thevenin resistance in circuit analysis?

Thevenin resistance is significant in circuit analysis as it allows us to determine the voltage and current behavior of a circuit without having to analyze the entire circuit. It also helps in finding the maximum power transfer in a circuit, making it an important parameter in circuit design.