1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin resistance question

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

I had a question about how my textbook finds the thevenin resistance (Rth) for this question
    470.jpg

I have already solved the thevenin voltage(3V) and I have a question about finding the Rth

In the solution using a test current source of 1 A and I have been taught to short circuit
    the 4V independent source and find the voltage across the 1A test source

Howver In the solution of the problem,

470d.jpg

The author has kept the 4V independent source instead of shorting it

I was wondering why he/she decided not to short the 4V source

thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The method of setting the sources to 0 to find the equivalent resistance works when the circuit contains only independent sources. Since the circuit contains a dependent current source, you have to use another method, like applying a test voltage or current, and with this method, you leave the sources alone.

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    thanks for the reply
    im sorry to bother you but in a previous question the authour short circuited an independent voltage source in a circuit with both dependent and independent sources when finding the thevenin resistance of the circuit, do you mind explaining why they shorted the independent voltage source for the following question

question:
    454.jpg

solution:
    454d.jpg

I was wondering why in one case the author shortcircuited the independent voltage source and in the other case he kept the source

thanks

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook