Thevenin Voltage Value Homework

In summary: The resistances must be correct because theoretical and experimental values of resistances are almost identical.
mrowa196

Homework Statement

Zrzut ekranu 2016-01-04 o 01.42.53.png

I calculated theoretical value of resistance - I assumed that R4 and R5 are in series and parallel to R2 and R3 which are in series, because I've considered B as the starting point - this is the method I was taught, but I don't know any method of calculating the voltage with the diode. Experimental value of voltage was about 3.75 V.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not enough data to arrive at a numerical result. Were you not given component values?

mrowa196 said:
I calculated theoretical value of resistance - I assumed that R4 and R5 are in series and parallel to R2 and R3 which are in series, because I've considered B as the starting point - this is the method I was taught, but I don't know any method of calculating the voltage with the diode. Experimental value of voltage was about 3.75 V.
What are the resistance ratios you were given?

Oh, I am sorry, I thought it was on the diagram:

R2 = 5.6 kΩ, R3 = 2.7 kΩ, R4 = 6.8 kΩ, R5 = 3.3 kΩ

R1 is apparently not necessary.

Suppose R3 and R4 (and, for good measure, point B) were all erased from the drawing, could you calculate the voltage VA with respect to the lower end of the zener?

If I understand the problem correctly, it is asked to find VAB i.e. the Thevenin voltage. Assuming the zener diode is in reverse breakdown region, voltage across it will be 6.2V, fixed. I believe the OP has assumed correct series-parallel combinations. But the voltage value I am getting is not 3.75V, which is obtained experimentally as said. Is there something wrong with the experimental value?

I've also measured the current and calculated experimental resistance and it was 4.64 Ohms, so very close to theoretical value of 4.60 Ohm. Hence, I think it was pretty accurate experiment.

mrowa196 said:
I've also measured the current and calculated experimental resistance and it was 4.64 Ohms, so very close to theoretical value of 4.60 Ohm. Hence, I think it was pretty accurate experiment.
Was the zener diode in breakdown region? I mean was the voltage across it 6.2V? If yes, I think VAB should be 2.14V.

The voltage applied was 12V.

Edit: I'm sorry. I measured the current and voltage for three applied voltages: 12, 15 and 18 V, but I need the value for 12V. I need to measure maximum theoretical power transfer.

mrowa196 said:
The voltage applied was 12V.

Edit: I'm sorry. I measured the current and voltage for three applied voltages: 12, 15 and 18 V, but I need the value for 12V. I need to measure maximum theoretical power transfer.
Still if the zener voltage is maintained at 6.2V, VAB will be same regardless of the supply voltage. Only the value of R1 will change.

Or maybe there is no enough information and I need to use the experimental value of voltage. After all what I need is to compare maximum theoretical power transfer and maximum experimental power transfer. Maybe I can only compare it by using theoretical value of resistance for one and experimental value of resistance for another while the voltage value would be experimental in both cases.

Edit: I read the problem again and it says specifically I need to use BOTH THEORETICAL values...

Last edited:
What if I ignored R3 and R4 part of the circuit and I would be left with:
Untitled.png

Then I ignore R1 and 15 V source part and I would be just left with 6.2 "source" let's say and two resistors circuit. Then, using voltage dividor rule and the values of resistances of the resistors (5.6/(5.6+3.3))*6.2. That would give 3.9V at point A which is close enough to experimental value, but I just made this method up so I think it's bullshit.

mrowa196 said:
Edit: I read the problem again and it says specifically I need to use BOTH THEORETICAL values...
Can you share the actual problem statement with us?

Likes CWatters
It's actually a lab report, so it's a whole document, but it's only one part of it - maximum power transfer.

Attachments

• Lab H - Network Measurements.pdf
    84.3 KB · Views: 350
The lab asks that you identify the values for resistors R2 and R4. What was involved in doing that?

Reading from the colour codes. That was checked - they are correct.

Did you also confirm that the other resistors (R3 and R5) actually had the values shown in the lab diagram?

I'm trying to understand how you could have measured 3.75 V across AB given this circuit arrangement. If the zener really is a 6.2 V one, then I'm not seeing a way to achieve this with the given component values.

Yes, I have. The resistances must be correct because theoretical and experimental values of resistances are almost identical.

2015-11-12 09.27.53.jpg

I found the photo of the circuit.

Attachments

• 2015-11-12 09.27.53.jpg
    2015-11-12 09.27.53.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 411
Looking at the photo, I question whether the color code for R4 is Blue-Violet-Red (6.8 k) or Blue-Violet-Orange (68 k). If it's the latter it might explain your measured voltage. It would push it to around 3.8 V.

What short circuit current did you measure?

0.8 mA

mrowa196 said:
0.8 mA
With what supply voltage?

12 V

Okay, with R4 at 68 kΩ I can see you measuring about 3.75 V and 0.8 mA. With those values your Thevenin resistance should be in the kilo-Ohms, not just a few Ohms. So something around 4.7 kΩ.

Yes, you're right, I've actually went through my notes and there is 68000 kΩ written but I've crossed one 0, because I could not get theoretical value of Thevenin resistance close the he experimental one otherwise... Did you get it?

Experimental data:
Zrzut ekranu 2016-01-05 o 00.12.57.png

Yes, I can calculate about 4.7 kΩ for the Thevenin resistance, which corresponds nicely with your table values.

:))
Could you please walk me through your calculations?

mrowa196 said:
What if I ignored R3 and R4 part of the circuit and I would be left with:
View attachment 93993
Then I ignore R1 and 15 V source part and I would be just left with 6.2 "source" let's say and two resistors circuit. Then, using voltage dividor rule and the values of resistances of the resistors (5.6/(5.6+3.3))*6.2. That would give 3.9V at point A which is ...
That's half the working. Then follow a similar procedure to determine VB. Using these results, you can calculate the value for VAB.

mrowa196 said:
:))
Could you please walk me through your calculations?
The zener is a good voltage source, so replace it with a short circuit.

How about the resistance? I've had this:
Zrzut ekranu 2016-01-05 o 00.34.21.png

But despite good result it must be wrong, because it shouldn't be 6.8 but 68 kOhms.

Here's another rendering of your circuit with the components rearranged into a more common pattern:
Fig1.png

If the zener is replaced by a short (not a bad approximation since it should have a zener resistance of just a few Ohms when in "zener mode") can you reevaluate your method for determining the Thevenin resistance?

Likes mrowa196
Great, that diagram of yours explains everything about the voltage.

The method for determining the Thevening resistance from my lecture notes is here:
Zrzut ekranu 2016-01-05 o 00.59.17.png

In the original circuit there is voltage source on the left, so you ignore it, look at the circuit from the right and then 6 Ohm is in series with 2 Ohm and 3 Ohm in parallel.

Yes, that's a good example. Now, what do you make of the circuit in question? When the zener is replaced by a short, what opportunities for combining resistors do you find?

I still see it as in the beginning: R4 and R5 are in series and parallel to R2 and R3 which are in series :/

mrowa196 said:
I still see it as in the beginning: R4 and R5 are in series and parallel to R2 and R3 which are in series :/
Nope. R3 and R4 can't be in series because the zener also connects to their junction. Same goes for R4 and R5.

Look for resistor pairs whose terminals share the same connections (pay attention to the "short" that the zener now represents!).

When in doubt take some highlighter pens and color code the separate nodes. Look for resistors with the same two node connections (color pairs).