Total resistance in a circuit question

In summary, the equivalent resistance between terminals A and B can be found by simplifying the circuit and using the equations for resistors in series and parallel. The correct answer is 4 Ohms, which can be obtained by calculating the resistance of the two resistors in parallel and adding it to the resistance of the remaining series resistors.
mtig

Homework Statement

Assuming the wires have negligible resistance, find the equivalent resistance between the terminals A and B. Answer to 2 significant figures.

upload_2016-11-10_11-57-48.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 ... + 1/Rn

R = R1 + R2 + Rn

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have drawn a more simplified circuit on a piece of paper and as the horizontal wire in the middle of the circuit has no resistance I have ignored the 4 resistor below it as no current will travel through them.

I have used the resistor equations above but I can't get the right answer. It is an online question and it will only tell me if the answer is right or wrong.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the details of your calculation attempt.

I added up the resistors in series (6 + 7) = 13

Then the two in parallel (1/10 + 1/5) = 3/10 Therefore resistance in parallel = 10/3 = 3.33

= 16 ohms

mtig said:
I added up the resistors in series (6 + 7) = 13

Then the two in parallel (1/10 + 1/5) = 3/10 Therefore resistance in parallel = 10/3 = 3.33

= 16 ohms
Ah. Well the 6 and 7 Ohm resistors are not in series. The B terminal is joined to the junction where they meet, so that junction is not unique to just the two resistors. The B terminal has to be considered a path that current can take since it's part of where you're "measuring" the circuit resistance from.

The 5 and 10 Ohm resistors are in parallel though, so that calculation is fine. Redraw the circuit with them replaced by a single resistor and continue to simplify from there.

Thank you very much I've got the right answer now.

I did 1/(3.33 + 6) + 1/7 = 0.25 Therefore resistance = 4 Ohms

I sort of get where I went wrong but I'm still getting my head round it.

What is total resistance in a circuit?

Total resistance in a circuit refers to the combined resistance of all components in the circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is calculated by adding up the individual resistances in a series circuit or by using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... for a parallel circuit.

How do you calculate total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, total resistance is simply the sum of all individual resistances. This means that you can add up the resistance values of each component to find the total resistance. For example, if there are three resistors in series with values of 5Ω, 10Ω, and 15Ω, the total resistance would be 5Ω + 10Ω + 15Ω = 30Ω.

How do you calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... This means that you need to find the reciprocal of each individual resistance, add them together, and then take the reciprocal of the sum to find the total resistance. For example, if there are three resistors in parallel with values of 5Ω, 10Ω, and 15Ω, the total resistance would be 1/5Ω + 1/10Ω + 1/15Ω = 0.6Ω. Taking the reciprocal of 0.6Ω gives a total resistance of 1.67Ω.

How does the total resistance affect current in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the total resistance increases, the current decreases. Similarly, as the total resistance decreases, the current increases.

Can the total resistance in a circuit ever be zero?

No, the total resistance in a circuit can never be zero. This is because even if a component has a resistance of zero, there will still be resistance in the wires and connections of the circuit. Additionally, the flow of electricity requires some resistance to prevent short circuits and damage to the circuit.