What is the equation for torque in a system with two blocks and a pulley?

In summary, the problem involves determining the necessary equations for solving a problem involving torque and Newton's second law. The forces relevant to torque are the rope tensions on each side of the pulley, and for the pulley, the rotational form of Newton's 2nd law is used. To solve the second part, the rotational inertia of the pulley must be replaced with that of a hollow cylinder, and the impact on acceleration must be determined.
TBBTs

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/MaT4N

MaT4N.png

Homework Equations

Torque = Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I tried
m2 g r - m1 g r = 1/2 M r^2 * (acceleration / r)
didn't work

2)I tried replace the moment of inertia equation to above equation,still didn't work

Attachments

• Two blocks and a Pulley.PNG
    Two blocks and a Pulley.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
TBBTs said:
1) I tried
m2 g r - m1 g r = 1/2 M r^2 * (acceleration / r)
didn't work
You cannot assume that the tension in the ropes equals the weight of the blocks. If that were true, the masses would be in equilibrium, not accelerating.

Instead, apply Newton's 2nd law to each block and to the pulley. Combine those three equations to solve for the unknowns.

Hi!
I tried this m2gR - m1gr +mgR =0

I am confused about which forces has torque on this problem?
How do I suppose to set up with an equation with both torque and Newton's second law?
Thanks!

Also,I am still confused about second part. Thanks

TBBTs said:
Hi!
I tried this m2gR - m1gr +mgR =0
Not sure what you're doing here.
I am confused about which forces has torque on this problem?
Torque is only relevant for the pulley. The forces creating the torque on the pulley are the rope tensions on each side of the pulley.
How do I suppose to set up with an equation with both torque and Newton's second law?
For the two blocks, you'd use the usual form of Newton's 2nd law: ΣF = ma

But for the pulley, you'll need the rotational form, which uses torque, rotational inertia, and angular acceleration: ΣTorque = I*alpha.

TBBTs said:
Also,I am still confused about second part. Thanks
To solve the second part, you'll need to replace the rotational inertia of the pulley with that of a hollow cylinder. Then you'd have to determine whether that causes the acceleration to increase, decrease, or remain the same. (Hint: How does the rotational inertia of a hollow cylinder compare to that of solid cylinder?)

1. How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the wheel rotates, causing the object attached to the other end to move. This allows for the transfer of force and the lifting or lowering of objects.

2. What is the mechanical advantage of using a pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley is the ratio of the output force to the input force. In other words, it is the amount that the force is amplified by using a pulley system. A single fixed pulley has a mechanical advantage of 1, while a movable pulley has a mechanical advantage of 2. The mechanical advantage can be increased by using multiple pulleys in a system.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system, divide the output force by the input force. For example, if a system with a single fixed pulley has an output force of 100 pounds and an input force of 50 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 100/50 = 2. This means that the force is doubled by using a pulley.

4. Can a pulley change the direction of a force?

Yes, a pulley can change the direction of a force. When a rope is pulled down on one side of the pulley, the object attached to the other end will move up. This is because the rope changes direction as it goes around the pulley. A pulley can also change the direction of a force when used in conjunction with other pulleys in a system.

5. What are some real-life examples of pulleys in use?

Pulleys are used in many different applications, from simple machines to complex systems. Some common examples include elevators, cranes, sailboats, and exercise equipment. They are also commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and transportation industries.