1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly charged cylinder

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    ok for one of my problem sets i have come across a problem im a little unsure of:

a uniformly charged cylinder of radius R, length L, and volume charge density rho is aligned along the z-axis from z=0 to z=-L. Find the electric field a distance D above the top of the cylinder(ie at z=D).[ Hint consider the cylinder as a stack of disks of thickness dz.]

ok now i already computed the charge for a flat disk and obtained

E= [tex]\frac{ \sigma*z}{2*\epsilon}*(\frac{1}{z} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2+R^2}})

so now i was thinking that all a cylinder is is many of these disks with a thickness dz i can simply take the integral

[tex]\frac{\rho}{2*\epsilon}\int_{-L}^{D}(1- \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2+R^2}})dz[/tex]

which produces the answer

does this seem right? if not it would be great if someone could point me to my error

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You only have to integrate over the cylinder height fom -L to 0.
  4. Sep 7, 2005 #3
    even if the electic field at point D is well above the cylinder?
  5. Sep 8, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

ya the charge is only on the cylincer.
  6. Sep 8, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Charge density above the cylinder is zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?