What is the electric field above a uniformly charged cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a distance D above a uniformly charged cylinder using the cylinder as a stack of disks. The resulting integral and answer are provided, with a question about the correctness of the solution. The response clarifies that the integration only needs to be done over the cylinder height and the charge density above the cylinder is zero.
matpo39
ok for one of my problem sets i have come across a problem I am a little unsure of:

a uniformly charged cylinder of radius R, length L, and volume charge density rho is aligned along the z-axis from z=0 to z=-L. Find the electric field a distance D above the top of the cylinder(ie at z=D).[ Hint consider the cylinder as a stack of disks of thickness dz.]

ok now i already computed the charge for a flat disk and obtained

E= [tex]\frac{ \sigma*z}{2*\epsilon}*(\frac{1}{z} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2+R^2}})
[/tex]

so now i was thinking that all a cylinder is is many of these disks with a thickness dz i can simply take the integral

[tex]\frac{\rho}{2*\epsilon}\int_{-L}^{D}(1- \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2+R^2}})dz[/tex]

which produces the answer

[tex]\frac{\rho}{2*\epsilon}*(L+\sqrt{L^2+R^2}+D-\sqrt{D^2+R^2})[/tex]

does this seem right? if not it would be great if someone could point me to my error

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You only have to integrate over the cylinder height fom -L to 0.

even if the electic field at point D is well above the cylinder?

ya the charge is only on the cylincer.

Charge density above the cylinder is zero.

Related to What is the electric field above a uniformly charged cylinder?

What is a uniformly charged cylinder?

A uniformly charged cylinder is a type of object in which the charge is evenly distributed along the length of the cylinder. This means that the charge density (amount of charge per unit length) is constant throughout the cylinder.

How is the electric field calculated for a uniformly charged cylinder?

The electric field for a uniformly charged cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = (λ/2πε₀r) where λ is the charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

What is the relationship between the electric field and the charge density for a uniformly charged cylinder?

The electric field is directly proportional to the charge density for a uniformly charged cylinder. This means that as the charge density increases, the electric field also increases.

Can a uniformly charged cylinder have a net charge of zero?

Yes, it is possible for a uniformly charged cylinder to have a net charge of zero if the positive and negative charges are evenly distributed along the length of the cylinder.

How does the electric potential differ inside and outside of a uniformly charged cylinder?

Inside a uniformly charged cylinder, the electric potential is constant and independent of the distance from the center. Outside of the cylinder, the electric potential follows the inverse square law and decreases as the distance from the center increases.