Using Ideal Gas Law to find P, V, or T

In summary: The conversation is about solving a gas law problem where 0.290 mol of argon gas is admitted to a container and undergoes an isochoric heating. The conversation involves confusion about the correct units for pressure and how to convert between them. In summary, the conversation is about solving a gas law problem involving argon gas and confusion about pressure units and conversions.
Samurai Weck
Ok, so I'm doing this homework online and I THINK I'm doing it correctly, but I'm getting incorrect answers.

Homework Statement

0.290 mol of argon gas is admitted to an evacuated 40.0 cm^3 container at 60.0 degrees C. The gas then undergoes an isochoric heating to a temperature of 300 degrees C.

What is the final pressure of the gas?

Homework Equations

p=(nRT)/V and p(f)/T(f)= p(i)/T(i)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I need to find p(i).
n=.290 mol
V=40 cm^3 = 40cm^3(1m/100 cm)^3 = 4x10^-5 m^3
T= 60.0 degrees C = 60 C + 273 = 333 K
R= the ideal gas constant which is 8.31 J/mol K

Therefore,
p(i)= (.290 mol * 8.31 J/mol K * 333 K)/ (4x10^-5 m^3)
p(i) = 2.01x10^7 atm

Now that I know p(i), i can then solve for the temperature increase to find p(f)

p(f) = p(i)T(f)/T(i)
p(f) = (2.01x10^7 atm * 573 K)/ 333 K = 34586486 atm = 3.46x10^7 atm

They want the answer in kPa, and converting atm to kPa online yielded 3.50x10^10.

I'm completely clueless as to what I'm doing wrong. There are two other problems asking for either p or V which seem to have the same basis. If I can figure out what I'm doing wrong here, I should be able to understand why I'm doing the rest wrong. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, disregard my question. I was mistaken when I thought that pressure in p=nRT comes out in atm. It actually is in Pa and you have to change 3.46x10^7 to 3.46x10^4.

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas.

What is the equation for the Ideal Gas Law?

The equation for the Ideal Gas Law is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How do you use the Ideal Gas Law to find pressure?

To find pressure using the Ideal Gas Law, you would rearrange the equation to P = nRT/V, where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume. Then, plug in the known values and solve for P.

How do you use the Ideal Gas Law to find volume?

To find volume using the Ideal Gas Law, you would rearrange the equation to V = nRT/P, where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and P is pressure. Then, plug in the known values and solve for V.

How do you use the Ideal Gas Law to find temperature?

To find temperature using the Ideal Gas Law, you would rearrange the equation to T = PV/nR, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, and R is the gas constant. Then, plug in the known values and solve for T.