Can the Dot Product Determine Maximum Distance from the Origin?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the dot product of a vector with itself to find the maximum distance from the origin and the possibility of using the derivative of the dot product to determine the time at which the maximum distance was traveled. There is also a question about why the distance is a maximum when the derivative of the dot product is equal to 0, which is explained as the derivative of the squared distance being 0 at a turning point.
jimmy42
Hello,

If I have a vector A and then I do the dot product on itself so A°A. Then can I use that to find the maximum distance from the origin? If I take the derivative of the dot product then can I know at what time the maximum distance was travelled?

I have done this but it is wrong based on the graph I made using Wolfram Alpha, I just need some reassurance that I'm on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello jimmy42! :smile:

your method looks ok …

distance2 = A.A,

so if the distance is a maximum, then A'.A = 0

ie A' is perpendicular to A

Why if A'.A =0 is the distance a maximum?

I too have a question on this, and I'm failing to see why if the position vector and the velocity vector are perpendicular then the distance is a maximum if the above holds true.

Cheers in advance

Smithy

Welcome to PF!

Hi Smithy! Welcome to PF! :smile:
smith873 said:
Why if A'.A =0 is the distance a maximum?

Because that's the derivative of the distance squared (divided by 2),

so it must be 0 if the distance squared is at a turning-point (maximum minimum or inflection point). :wink:

It seems like you are trying to use the dot product of a vector with itself to find the maximum distance from the origin. However, the dot product only gives you a scalar value, not a distance. To find the maximum distance from the origin, you would need to use the magnitude of the vector, which is the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself.

Taking the derivative of the dot product may give you the time at which the maximum distance was traveled, but it would depend on the specific context of your problem. It's important to keep in mind that the dot product and its derivative are not directly related to distance and time, so it's important to carefully consider the physical meaning behind your calculations.

I would recommend double checking your calculations and making sure you are using the appropriate formulas for finding distance and time. It's always a good idea to have someone else review your work as well for additional reassurance. Best of luck with your research!

FAQ: Can the Dot Product Determine Maximum Distance from the Origin?

1. What are vectors and how are they used in distance calculations?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used in distance calculations by representing the distance between two points as a vector and using vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, to find the total distance.

2. How do you calculate the maximum distance between two vectors?

The maximum distance between two vectors can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the magnitude of each vector and then using the formula c = √(a² + b²) to find the distance, where a and b are the magnitudes of the two vectors and c is the maximum distance.

3. Can vectors be used to represent real-life scenarios?

Yes, vectors can be used to represent real-life scenarios. For example, velocity and force are both examples of vectors that are used to represent physical quantities in the real world.

4. How do you determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined by calculating the angle between the vector and a reference axis. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

5. What is the difference between displacement and distance in vector calculations?

Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between two points, while distance refers to the total length of the path taken between the two points. In vector calculations, displacement is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction, while distance is represented by a scalar value.

Back