What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
For really awesome punk rock covers of pop tunes check out Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies.

This is one of my favourites, a phantom of the opera cover.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
binzing said:
Its f-ing SRV of course it doesn't matter. He also covered Little Wing, and personally I like his version of it better.

Dam right, it took me a while to learn it though.
 
For B. Elliot

Pink Floyd - Echoes

(here's part 1 of the Pompeii version: )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
From back when Fleetwood Mac was a blues band. I have every one of their recordings from these days, I think, including compilations, live concerts, etc. Note on this first song that Danny Kirwan appears to be playing Peter Green's sunburst Les Paul (now owned by Gary Moore). Green's LP had one pickup with reversed polarity, giving it a dry hollow sound when both pickups were used at once.

This next song features Jeremy Spencer on slide and vocals. He could do killer covers of Elmore James.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmB4N3_5mXc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4HGlmtOcg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxeQKQQ6k4s&feature=related
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Tom Waits prefomed one of my favourites live apparently while having a seizure ;-p
Make It Rain
That was just too painful to watch. Waits is one of those guys who seem to think histrionics=feeling. As a musician for over 40 years, I cannot agree.
 
It's part of the image I guess. His act along with his music has gotten more and more over the top. Sometimes it's just too much but when he get's it just right it's amazing... in my opinion anyway.
 
Best song ever

The best song of the millenium is Stairway to Heaven and with the countdown that I listened to I have to agree with them. You can't beat that song.
 
B. Elliott said:
Fleetwood Mac. Don't Stop


I can't stand this song, IMO it's the one weak spot on the entire album.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BryanP said:
For B. Elliot

Pink Floyd - Echoes

(here's part 1 of the Pompeii version: )


Thanks Bryan! It's seriously one of my favorite songs of all time. I picked up the directors cut version of Live at Pompeii last year and fell in love with the song all over again. I can't believe I went all those years without ever hearing of the film. The music combined with the visuals in that film is. timeless.

Nick Masons book Inside Out is an excellent read if you're interested. Gives an interesting view of the bands years from his perspective. I can really relate to his outlook.

JamesU said:
I can't stand this song, IMO it's the one weak spot on the entire album.

You know, I do have to agree. I like the original version much better, but to me it's all about the meaning of the song. more so than the execution in that specific live performance.

turbo-1 said:
From back when Fleetwood Mac was a blues band. I have every one of their recordings from these days, I think, including compilations, live concerts, etc. Note on this first song that Danny Kirwan appears to be playing Peter Green's sunburst Les Paul (now owned by Gary Moore). Green's LP had one pickup with reversed polarity, giving it a dry hollow sound when both pickups were used at once.

This next song features Jeremy Spencer on slide and vocals. He could do killer covers of Elmore James.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmB4N3_5mXc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4HGlmtOcg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxeQKQQ6k4s&feature=related


Thankyou for the videos turbo. I was really into The Mac's later years, but never got into the early stuff... just never looked into it that far. Looks like I've missed out on quite bit! The sound of that guitar is wild. I think i'll have to some searching for their earlier albums on the internet and order a few. With stuff like I have to have the actual hard product... can't beat having the original artists album IMO.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
B. Elliott said:
Thankyou for the videos turbo. I was really into The Mac's later years, but never got into the early stuff... just never looked into it that far. Looks like I've missed out on quite bit! The sound of that guitar is wild. I think i'll have to some searching for their earlier albums on the internet and order a few. With stuff like I have to have the actual hard product... can't beat having the original artists album IMO.
It is very difficult to recommend these low-res versions, but I had to do it. Fleetwood Mac was my favorite band for a lot of years. Until Peter Green finally freaked out and ditched the music business, they were my favorite. When Jeremy Spencer jumped and joined a Jesus-freak group shortly after, the only decent guitarist left was Danny Kirwan, and that was an untenable situation.
 
I have always loved the Neville Brothers "Yellow Moon" - here is a live version with John Hiatt on guitar and vocals, with (I'm SURE!) Ed Bradley in the audience with a grandchild or other young relative. Must-see!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I Dig Rock And Roll Music - Peter, Paul & Mary

 
Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite duets, with Aaron Neville and Linda Rondstadt. Both great singers.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
One of my favorite duets, with Aaron Neville and Linda Rondstadt. Both great singers.



I completely forgot about Aaron Neville. For the longest time I wondered who the guy with 'that voice' was.

Probably the greatest jazzy/poppy song from the late 80's (or was it already the 90's?)
Sade - Smooth Operator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLPunVhToo&feature=related

The only stipulation, It must be played at full volume with the EQ on rock.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Well John Prine can be hooked up with Iris Dement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8&feature=related

Ain't the best music around, but I like it.

Just in case they missed it the first time?

You know, this has to be one of the dumbest songs ever written and everyone in my family say they hate it. That makes it one of those songs that everyone in the car has to sing along with and then laugh after it's done.
 
Math Is Hard said:
Wow! Mad skillz!
Reminds me of those old Andy Griffith show episodes with the Darling family musical numbers -- Briscoe Darling would say, "Jes jump in where you can, Sheriff, and try ta' hang on!":biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
Briscoe Darling - "Alright boys! Slimey River Bottom!"

Charlene Darling - "No, Pa! That one makes me cry!"

BTW, the band of slack-jawed silent "boys" was played by The Dillards. The talent was real

Every song makes Darlene cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cGva0USk0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu77tX7uDvc&feature=related
(notice who Darlene's beau is?)

Briscoe: How many strings you us'ta?
Andy: Well, there's six on my guitar.
Briscoe: Well, here's one with five. Jes kinda let that thumb hang free and enjoy the music.
 
Last edited:
Gordon Lightfoot - The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald

 
Last edited by a moderator: