What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
TheStatutoryApe said:
An interesting case of popular music in video games...

This is the cinematic intro for a game called Borderlands with the song Aint No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant.



That song always sounded like a blatant rip-off of cowboy by kid rock (which I strongly dislike). Good game though. For my money for computer game openings you can't beat "A kiss to build a dream on" by louis armstrong for fallout 2 (of which borderland is a blatant rip-off)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
maverick_starstrider said:
That song always sounded like a blatant rip-off of cowboy by kid rock (which I strongly dislike). Good game though. For my money for computer game openings you can't beat "A kiss to build a dream on" by louis armstrong for fallout 2 (of which borderland is a blatant rip-off)



I thought it sounded very similar too, but I like this one better than Kid Rock's it has a more bluesy sound compared to Kid's more country rock sound.

I've looked at previews for Fallout 3 but I have never played any of the games. I thought about getting it but I have been told that the PS3 version is buggy as all get out and not worth it. The music was a definite draw.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chinna Chinna Aasai (Little Desires) From the film Roja composed by A.R.Rahman(the double Oscar winner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGm0BRLOUk

One of his best. Absolutely divine, i feel.
Its difficult to suggest a particular Rahman song as each one is composed with same passion as the other. Since this is his first film song, i would reluctantly give credit to this as his best. This guy is awesome!
Please give your honest views after hearing it. Curious about how non-indians perceive the song. :)
 
Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I thought it sounded very similar too, but I like this one better than Kid Rock's it has a more bluesy sound compared to Kid's more country rock sound.

I've looked at previews for Fallout 3 but I have never played any of the games. I thought about getting it but I have been told that the PS3 version is buggy as all get out and not worth it. The music was a definite draw.

The fallout series are my favorite computer games of all time and Fallout 3 is great. The thing with fallout is the world and the delicious sense of humour. I can't speak to the PS3 bugginess though, I played on PC.
 
maverick_starstrider said:
The fallout series are my favorite computer games of all time and Fallout 3 is great. The thing with fallout is the world and the delicious sense of humour. I can't speak to the PS3 bugginess though, I played on PC.

If it is buggy they should be able to patch it and would have probably done so by now.
 
sganesh88 said:
Please give your honest views after hearing it. Curious about how non-indians perceive the song. :)

I liked it. Playful and lighthearted. Too bad I can not understand the lyrics. I could swear I have heard something very similar before, possibly even very nearly the same, but I can not think of where.
 
Kurdt said:
If it is buggy they should be able to patch it and would have probably done so by now.

I just looked it up. Apparently there was originally no content or support for the game over the Playstation Network. That has changed though. Odd I still had people telling me that it was buggy and there was no support for the PS3 version.

Maybe when I get a home internet connection and can get the patch I'll take a look at it again.



And since this is the music thread here's one of my favourite Joe Satriani pieces...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Eli Mattson-Seven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpxO1gK1ZZQ
 
Kannamoochi Enada ("Why the Hide-n-seek?!"). Another Rahman delicacy featuring Aishwarya Rai in the film "Kandu Konden.. Kandu Konden".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftMtHBgKTc
 
Don't Stop (Live) - FLEETWOODMAC! :!) Ripp'n music. Whew! Love the video.
http://www.fleetwoodmac.com/media/videos/dont-stop-live
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron and Trisha. I might have posted this before (the thread is VERY long), but it just popped up on my stereo, and I fell in love with it all over again.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Mae Questel as Betty Boop singing Happy You and Merry Me. This is not the best song ever, but it comes with a short story. I got a set of Betty Boop cartoons on dvd as a gift from my daughter and I fell in love with this one. I hadn't realized the extent of Ms. Questel's career, but now I have come to realize that she was the voice of Olive Oyl and was Aunt Bluebell of the Scott paper towel commercials.

The song starts 1:10 into the cartoon and lasts about a minute.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Here's Mae Questel as Betty Boop singing Happy You and Merry Me. This is not the best song ever, but it comes with a short story. I got a set of Betty Boop cartoons on dvd as a gift from my daughter and I fell in love with this one. I hadn't realized the extent of Ms. Questel's career, but now I have come to realize that she was the voice of Olive Oyl and was Aunt Bluebell of the Scott paper towel commercials.

The song starts 1:10 into the cartoon and lasts about a minute.


I love that last scene!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some songs are best interpreted by the listener without images.

Tune this one in, and turn off the video!. The video is someone's nightmare. You can watch the video the second time you listen to the song, to see if it was about what you thought the song was about.

I would imagine each generation would interpret the lyrics differently.

















When I first heard this song, I thought it was about Nelson Mandela.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten about half way through this long thread so I'd thought I'd jump to the end and post some of my favorite ones. This is just a quick list of the ones I could find without having to hunt a bunch. If these are double posts from someone else well that means someone else has the same taste in music as me.

Launa Coil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA&feature=channel"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCxFTh-XDy8&feature=related"

Within Temptation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzJO34SCoc"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCkAvh50Vs"

Metallica: I really like she S&M recordings of these songs but the originals are good too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KtF7ql3FJc"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFDNK-4Z7TI&feature=related"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
Some songs are best interpreted by the listener without images.

Tune this one in, and turn off the video!. The video is someone's nightmare. You can watch the video the second time you listen to the song, to see if it was about what you thought the song was about.

I would imagine each generation would interpret the lyrics differently.




When I first heard this song, I thought it was about Nelson Mandela.


Nice song...made me think of this one...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8V8S_REhk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6u6LunSJ9k

I'd like to know the translated lyrics of this song, it is farsi I think, the music is also nice
 
lisab said:
Nice song...made me think of this one...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8V8S_REhk

Music is so odd. Sometimes it makes you think. Aside from dancing. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jrYwbYXc2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jrYwbYXc2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe no one's posted an xmas song yet today.

Here's one of my favorites.

I've not seen the video until today. But it's no wonder. Who can imagine Christmas in the Arabian desert. :wink:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FqOfXumI18A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FqOfXumI18A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm-Za8TjMFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm-Za8TjMFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What's in your head?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1Mw5kzB6k

Not that I understand lyrics, but I like music and video o:)
 
This is a sweet cover of a Lou Reed song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRFZFmEq9o
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l3lgq8dKRII&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l3lgq8dKRII&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
MC Stephen Hawking- Big Bizang


 
Last edited by a moderator:
EVERYBODY

This is definitely one of the greatest songs!:

FWJMtzdk-Es[/youtube] I guess it...ding of TNMT. [SIZE="7"]COWABUNGAAAAAAAA
 
The best harmonica boogie ever. Magic Dick's Wammer Jammer set to 3 stooges video. J Geils Band at their best.

 
Last edited by a moderator: