What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
ThomasT said:
[snip] In those days I was still fiddling with an acoustic guitar, a bit (a very small bit) of piano, some violin (literally fiddling), flute, recorder, trumpet, trombone, sax, etc. The intricacies and subtleties of electric guitar playing were, and still are, beyond me, though I think I can hear and appreciate much of it. I admire the people who can do things with an electric guitar that I really enjoy and can only imagine being able to do.

Very impressive. I play the harmonica, harp, violin, and drums. :smile: Oh my, I need a happy song since I injured my achilles tendon on each leg. Took a bad tumble three times and well...I need a tune to soothe my aches and horrid pain. Can you think of a tune that will make me laugh my woes away? Anybody? Somebody?

Pretty please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is presented to ViewsofMars in the hope that ViewsofMars will reciprocate with a tune and a view of Mars (preferably in Technicolor, and, please, something other than the giant volcanic mountain, the 'face', or the 'canals'). I'm not sure what that leaves.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
This is presented to ViewsofMars in the hope that ViewsofMars will reciprocate with a tune and a view of Mars (preferably in Technicolor, and, please, something other than the giant volcanic mountain, the 'face', or the 'canals'). I'm not sure what that leaves.

Thomas, Frank Zappa - Muffin Man is not my cup of tea. The guy is a freak'n weirdo though I admit he makes me chuckle! :smile: Fortunately, I picked up the telephone and confirmed it with a dear friend. (lol) Well, it appears you want to see me. I will describe what I look like for you. ( No one can read this but YOU! tee-hee) Woman: green eyes, long sandy blonde hair, petite, 105lbs, smiling :biggrin: and ankle & legs hurting.) The first song that came to my mind is Cat Stevens - Moonshadow:

Listening to it right now and feeling much better! Thanks Thomas:biggrin:

Looks like you changed your mind from the the Muffin Man to another song! Sneeky you! lol!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ViewsofMars said:
Listening to it right now and feeling much better! Thanks Thomas:biggrin:
You're welcome. Glad you're feeling better.

ViewsofMars said:
Looks like you changed your mind from the the Muffin Man to another song!
The second one is funnier, imo.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
From an artistic perspective, as I said in all sincerity, I consider Floyd to be in a league of their own.

Agreed, but there are still others worth of listening to.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Agreed, but there are still others worth of listening to.
Copland rocks! It's cool. In fact it looks very cool there.
 
Last edited:
I can't post links yet but I would have to go with Stairway to Heaven.
 
jeff1909 said:
I can't post links yet but I would have to go with Stairway to Heaven.

OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugxFcmZXDyc

The original studio version comes up as a choice at the end of this video. It has a better volume level than the ones I found for direct download from YT.
 
Last edited:
ThomasT said:
You're welcome. Glad you're feeling better.

The second one is funnier, imo.

Thank you:smile: It did put a giggle in me. Yep feeling much better. My dog's leash wrapped around my leg three times over the course of a week, which resulted in my falls. The little monster! (lol)

jeff1909 said:
I can't post links yet but I would have to go with Stairway to Heaven.

Welcome Jeff to the music thread. Great tune by one of the greatest artists. Led was oh so sweet. I miss him (Jimmy Page). Haven't seen him play live for a while. Thanks for sharing.
 
Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
Thank you:smile: It did put a giggle in me. Yep feeling much better. My dog's leash wrapped around my leg three times over the course of a week, which resulted in my falls. The little monster! (lol)
Hopefully you have learned from these experiences. Your injuries have healed. The music remains.
 
Last edited:
ThomasT said:
Hopefully you have learned from these experiences. Your injuries have healed. The music remains.

NO the injuries aren't healed quite yet, I sprained both ankles. It takes a while to heal. The dog is a 70 plus pound puppy. Yes, the music remains since I've been to many concerts throughout my lifetime. I personally know many musicians and went to oodles of concerts. Lucky me got to go backstage. :biggrin: Take care dear Thomas. Best wishes coming your way ~ ~ ~
 
ViewsofMars said:
NO the injuries aren't healed quite yet, I sprained both ankles. It takes a while to heal.
Wow, both ankles, yeah that's rough.

ViewsofMars said:
The dog is a 70 plus pound puppy.
A 70+ lb puppy? Yeah, that's a big doggy.

Best wishes and hope you heal soon. Post some music you especially like here.
 
phylotree said:
Especially for you.
This is really well done and pretty pop music, but not in any way special wrt the spectrum of all music, imho. It's just my opinion, and, as they say, no accounting for that ... no offense intended. I was able to listen to the whole thing. Will I ever listen to it again? No. At least, not on purpose. But thanks for posting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ybDbcrWVM#!
I love this. Donovan is associated with a remarkable time in the evolution of American music, imo. Thanks for posting.
 
Last edited:
Another tune from that era (late '60s):

 
Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
Another tune from that era (late '60s):

Thanks for that link T_T. It brought back fond memories. I don't know Stills, but I feel that I grew up with him. Jim Messina is another. I had hardly any money as a teen, and had to save that precious little for college, but I managed to salvage a bit to buy some albums that I "needed" to keep body and soul together. I could keep CSN and Poco on a continuous loop on my stereo...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
Thanks for that link T_T. It brought back fond memories. I don't know Stills, but I feel that I grew up with him. Jim Messina is another. I had hardly any money as a teen, and had to save that precious little for college, but I managed to salvage a bit to buy some albums that I "needed" to keep body and soul together. I could keep CSN and Poco on a continuous loop on my stereo...
Glad you enjoyed it turbo... it brings back memories for me too. Travelling across the US to California in '67. It was on the radio. It still sounds good to me today.

The two pieces I posted after that, by Ralph Vaughan Williams, are, imo, two of the greatest pieces of music ever written. I remember listening to them as a kid and being moved in a way that pop/rock music just didn't do.
 
Last edited:
TJTayAiygRo&feature=related[/youtube] The video isn't great but the music is decent enough.
 
Who Got The Hooch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBp7lqoyrok
 
Anything by Murray Gold. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmUKjvpDKnE