What is the equivalent capcitance of this circuit - Figured it out.

In summary, the equivalent capacitance of the given circuit is 8.5 F. This is calculated by first finding the parallel capacitance of C1 and C2, which is 5 F. Then, adding this to the series capacitance of C3 and C4, which is 3.5 F. This totals to 8.5 F, which is different from the numbers given in the options. The key to understanding this is to remember that charges in parallel add up, while voltages in series add up. Additionally, when totaling capacitor values, they behave opposite to resistors.
riseofphoenix
What is the equivalent capcitance of this circuit! -- Figured it out.

I have a Physics final exam in 2 hours and I'm re-reviewing things...

This problem DOESN'T make any sense!

HELP_zps7fc6f1a6.png

17. If C1 = 2 F, C2 = 3 F, C3 = 5 F, C4 = 6 F, the equivalent capacitance of the circuit is:

A. 8.5 F is supposed to be the answer - that makes NO sense
B. 16 F
C. 5.5 F
D. 10 F

I didn't get ANY of those numbers...
This is what I did.

1) Determine PARALLEL capacitance of C1 and C2

Ceq = C1 + C2
Ceq = 2 +3
Ceq = 5

2) Determine the SERIES capacitance of the whole circuit now

1/Ceq = 1/5 + 1/C3 + 1/C4
1/Ceq = 1/5 + 1/5+ 1/6
1/Ceq = 0.567
Ceq = 1/0.567
Ceq = 1.763 :(:(:(:(!Edit:

Oh wait nvm.

I figured it out.

the upper arm (C net) is- 1/C net = 1/5 + 1/C3 = 1/5 + 1/5 =2/5
=>C net = 5/2 = 2.5
now 2.5 and 6 in parallel- 2.5+6 = 8.5

Last edited:
Likes Electron Spin
Physics news on Phys.org
Claims he's figured it out. Looks good to me.

Likes Electron Spin
Stream of consciousness thinking, charges in parallel add up so capacitances in parallel add up. So the capacitance of the combination C1 and C2 is 2 + 3 = 5. They've made it easy for you, you have two equal capacitances in series. So the voltage across one of them Is half the total voltage. So the charge on this one is 5/2 = 2.5. Add that to the 6 on C4 and you have got 8.5. Quite fast.

I haven't put in pedantries like units :oldbiggrin: because this is stream of consciousness thinking for a quiz.

Just remember - it makes sense I hope - that charges in parallel add up whereas the voltages in series and up. The charge on the leftmost plate in series equals that on the rightmost plate (though opposite sign) and that is the total charge on the equivalent capacitor. The internal plates not connected to conductor have total zero charge (though separated into a positive and negative one).

Because of this if you have say equal capacitances in series the total capacitance is less than that of anyone of them. Not realising that is why you thought the given answer didn't make any sense.

Last edited:
I know you exam is over but if you are interested...
BIG EASY HINT: to add L and C values..

You would total L's just like Resistors...

Totaling C's are opposite of resistors.. ( parallel C's you add like series R's, and series C's you combine (add) like parallel R's..1/1/C1+1/C2+1/C3...

IOW: You would total parallel C's as you would add series R's in a network. and when you total series C's in series, total them like you would total parallel R's.
Again,

- Treat the totaling of parallel capacitor values, opposite mathematically, as if they were like series resistor values, but only when 'totaling' their values, not their AC reactances!1.
- Treat the totaling of series or parallel Inductor values as if they were resistors.
img527.png
I always suggested to start with parallel capacitors because it's easy to see in your mind's eye...:oldwink:

Slide C2 up to the 'plates' of C1 note the combined total capacitance doubles in value, in plate area so to speak.What you are doing is actually, or electronically is combining the plate area twice, as to increase the capacitance twice..:oldwink:

Hence, L's are like R's and C's are opposite of R's, when totaling.

1 This is a completely different story for a different time.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-11_15-5-8.png
    upload_2016-10-11_15-5-8.png
    772 bytes · Views: 404
Last edited:

1. What is the definition of equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance refers to the effective capacitance of a circuit when multiple capacitors are connected in parallel or series. It represents the combined effect of all the individual capacitors in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the equivalent capacitance of a circuit?

The equivalent capacitance can be calculated by using the formula for capacitors connected in parallel or series, depending on the circuit configuration. In parallel, the equivalent capacitance is the sum of all the individual capacitances, while in series, it is the inverse of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual capacitances.

3. Why is it important to know the equivalent capacitance of a circuit?

Knowing the equivalent capacitance of a circuit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the circuit and determine its overall capacitance. It also allows us to simplify complex circuits and make accurate predictions about their performance.

4. Can the equivalent capacitance of a circuit ever be greater than the capacitance of any individual capacitor?

No, the equivalent capacitance of a circuit can never be greater than the capacitance of any individual capacitor. This is because connecting capacitors in parallel or series always results in a decrease in the overall capacitance.

5. How do you apply the concept of equivalent capacitance in real-life circuits?

The concept of equivalent capacitance is applied in many real-life circuits, such as in power supplies, electronic filters, and energy storage systems. It allows engineers to design and optimize circuits for specific purposes by selecting the right combination of capacitors to achieve the desired equivalent capacitance.