What is the period of this binary orbit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the period of a binary orbit between two masses, with one having 90% of the mass of Earth and the other having 50% of the mass of Earth. The gravitational force between the two masses is determined using Newton's Law of Gravitation, and velocities and accelerations of the masses at minimum and maximum distance are calculated. However, the conversation also points out errors in the calculations and discusses the need to use the distance between the barycenter of the two masses instead of the distance between the two masses themselves to calculate the orbital velocity.
caters
Homework Statement
There are 2 masses, one with 90% the mass of earth and one with 50% the mass of earth. Let's call the bigger one m1 and the smaller one m2. m1 has a radius of 95% that of earth and m2 has a radius of 40% that of earth. These 2 masses are in a binary orbit. The minimum distance in this binary orbit is the earth-moon distance. The maximum distance in the binary orbit is 2.25 * the earth-moon distance. At minimum distance, the 2 masses are at their maximum velocity and at maximum distance, they are at their minimum velocity. Calculate the period of the binary orbit using Newton's laws of motion and the Law of Universal Gravitation. Use calculus if necessary.
Relevant Equations
$$F_g = G*\frac{m1*m2}{r^2}$$
$$F = ma$$
$$F_{cent} = \frac{m * v^2}{r}$$
Okay, so let's simplify things and look at the ideal case, where the 2 masses are the same. Well, this gives us a sine wave pattern to the orbital velocity. Consequently, the acceleration would follow a cosine wave since the derivative of velocity is acceleration and the derivative of sine is cosine. Since this acceleration is from the gravitational force of the 2 masses, the gravitational force would have to change in proportion to cos(t). Now, getting to the real problem.

Figuring out gravitational force:
$$F = G * \frac{m1*m2}{r^2}$$
$$G = 6.67*10^{-11} \frac{Nm^2}{kg^2}$$
$$m1 = 5.97*10^{24} kg * .90$$
$$m2 = 5.97*10^{24} kg * .50$$
$$r_{min} = 3.84*10^6 m$$
$$r_{max} = 1.158 * 10^7m$$
Plugging these values in I get ##F_{min} = 7.25 * 10^{25} N## and ##F_{max} = 1.81 * 10^{25} N##

##F_{min}## is at minimum distance and ##F_{max}## is at maximum distance

That is a pretty strong gravitational force between the 2 masses.

Gravitational acceleration of each mass at minimum distance:
$$a1_{min} = 13.49 m/s^2$$
$$a2_{min} = 24.29 m/s^2$$

Gravitational acceleration of each mass at maximum distance:
$$a1_{max} = 3.37 m/s^2$$
$$a2_{max} = 6.06 m/s^2$$

Where ##a1## is the acceleration of ##m1## and ##a2## is the acceleration of ##m2##.

If I equate the gravitational force, which is what I have calculated, with the centripetal force, I can get the velocity at minimum and maximum distance just doing some algebra. Here is what I get after doing the algebra:

$$F_c = F_g$$
$$F_c = \frac{m*v^2}{r}$$
$$F_c * r = m * v^2$$
$$\frac{F_c*r}{m} = v^2$$
$$\sqrt{\frac{F_c*r}{m}} = v$$

And then if I plug in the masses, gravitational force, and distance at aphelion(maximum distance and perihelion(minimum distance, I will get these velocites for ##m1##:

$$v_{peri} = 7198.23 \frac{m}{s}$$
$$v_{aph} = 5394.95 \frac{m}{s}$$

And for ##m2##:

$$v_{peri} = 9657.45 \frac{m}{s}$$
$$v_{aph} = 7238.09 \frac{m}{s}$$

But now, what do I do? I know the velocities of both masses at perihelion and aphelion as well as their accelerations at those points and the gravitational force at those points. But how am I supposed to go from knowing the velocities, accelerations, and the gravitational force at 2 points to figuring out the period of the binary orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice show of your work.

Orbital speed can also be calculated with ##v=\sqrt{\frac{GM} {R}}##.

You might want to look up Kepler's 3rd Law for the period.

Likes wormbread
Your velocity can also be set equal to ##\frac {2\pi r} {T}##.

Likes wormbread
caters said:
Problem Statement: There are 2 masses, one with 90% the mass of Earth and one with 50% the mass of earth. Let's call the bigger one m1 and the smaller one m2. m1 has a radius of 95% that of Earth and m2 has a radius of 40% that of earth. These 2 masses are in a binary orbit. The minimum distance in this binary orbit is the earth-moon distance. The maximum distance in the binary orbit is 2.25 * the earth-moon distance. At minimum distance, the 2 masses are at their maximum velocity and at maximum distance, they are at their minimum velocity. Calculate the period of the binary orbit using Newton's laws of motion and the Law of Universal Gravitation. Use calculus if necessary.
Relevant Equations: $$F_g = G*\frac{m1*m2}{r^2}$$
$$F = ma$$
$$F_{cent} = \frac{m * v^2}{r}$$

Okay, so let's simplify things and look at the ideal case, where the 2 masses are the same. Well, this gives us a sine wave pattern to the orbital velocity. Consequently, the acceleration would follow a cosine wave since the derivative of velocity is acceleration and the derivative of sine is cosine. Since this acceleration is from the gravitational force of the 2 masses, the gravitational force would have to change in proportion to cos(t). Now, getting to the real problem.

Figuring out gravitational force:
$$F = G * \frac{m1*m2}{r^2}$$
$$G = 6.67*10^{-11} \frac{Nm^2}{kg^2}$$
$$m1 = 5.97*10^{24} kg * .90$$
$$m2 = 5.97*10^{24} kg * .50$$
$$r_{min} = 3.84*10^6 m$$
$$r_{max} = 1.158 * 10^7m$$
Plugging these values in I get ##F_{min} = 7.25 * 10^{25} N## and ##F_{max} = 1.81 * 10^{25} N##
Your answers are off by a few magnitudes. The Earth-Moon distance is 3.84e8 m, not 3.84e6m. Thus your answer is 10,000 times too large.
##F_{min}## is at minimum distance and ##F_{max}## is at maximum distance

That is a pretty strong gravitational force between the 2 masses.

Gravitational acceleration of each mass at minimum distance:
$$a1_{min} = 13.49 m/s^2$$
$$a2_{min} = 24.29 m/s^2$$

Gravitational acceleration of each mass at maximum distance:
$$a1_{max} = 3.37 m/s^2$$
$$a2_{max} = 6.06 m/s^2$$

Where ##a1## is the acceleration of ##m1## and ##a2## is the acceleration of ##m2##.

If I equate the gravitational force, which is what I have calculated, with the centripetal force, I can get the velocity at minimum and maximum distance just doing some algebra. Here is what I get after doing the algebra:

$$F_c = F_g$$
$$F_c = \frac{m*v^2}{r}$$
$$F_c * r = m * v^2$$
$$\frac{F_c*r}{m} = v^2$$
$$\sqrt{\frac{F_c*r}{m}} = v$$
First, I assume you meant Fg in this last equation. As written, it just simplifies to v=v. Secondly, from the answers below, I is apparent that you took r to equal the distance between the two bodies when working out Fc, and this would not be the case. The two bodies would be orbiting the barycenter between them, and it would be the distance between this and the body in question that should be used for r here. Thirdly, this will not give you the periapis and apoapis velocities ( Aphelion and perihelion refer to orbits around the Sun, just like apogee and apogee refer to Earth orbits, periapis an apoapis are the general terms for any orbit.). While Fg=Fc holds true at all points of a circular orbit, it does not do so for elliptical ones. So even when you correct for the erroneous value for the gravitational force between the bodies and properly account for the motion around the barycenter, the method above would not give you the correct maximum and minimum velocities of the bodies. What your method gives you is the orbital velocity needed to maintain a circular orbit at those distances.
And then if I plug in the masses, gravitational force, and distance at aphelion(maximum distance and perihelion(minimum distance, I will get these velocites for ##m1##:

$$v_{peri} = 7198.23 \frac{m}{s}$$
$$v_{aph} = 5394.95 \frac{m}{s}$$

And for ##m2##:

$$v_{peri} = 9657.45 \frac{m}{s}$$
$$v_{aph} = 7238.09 \frac{m}{s}$$

But now, what do I do? I know the velocities of both masses at perihelion and aphelion as well as their accelerations at those points and the gravitational force at those points. But how am I supposed to go from knowing the velocities, accelerations, and the gravitational force at 2 points to figuring out the period of the binary orbit?

Such a numerical approach isn't likely to give results. A better angle of attack is to work with the relevant equations themselves; using them, and the above suggested calculus to derive an equation for orbital period, into which you can plug in the given values to get your answer.

Likes roam

What is the period of this binary orbit?

The period of a binary orbit is the time it takes for the two objects to complete one full orbit around their center of mass. It is typically measured in days or years.

How is the period of a binary orbit calculated?

The period of a binary orbit can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This can be expressed as P2 = a3, where P is the period and a is the semi-major axis.

Does the mass of the objects affect the period of a binary orbit?

Yes, the mass of the objects does affect the period of a binary orbit. According to Kepler's Third Law, the period is directly proportional to the mass of the objects. This means that the more massive the objects are, the longer their period will be.

Can the period of a binary orbit change over time?

Yes, the period of a binary orbit can change over time due to factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and stellar evolution. However, these changes are often very small and difficult to detect.

Can the period of a binary orbit be used to determine the mass of the objects?

Yes, the period of a binary orbit can be used to determine the mass of the objects using Kepler's Third Law. By measuring the period and semi-major axis of the orbit, scientists can calculate the total mass of the objects in the orbit.