Science Advisor
- 4,430
- 327
I guess this is the problem with watching lectures and not doing the homework. Thanks to physicsforums for discussion.
Pythagorean said:So who do I beleive? Somebody on physics forums or a Stanford professor of quantum statistics?
.
Pythagorean said:One of my physics professor conveyed a definition of thermodynamics to me that has stuck. I believe it was originally presented by Susskind (who has lectures available online).
The second law is only really justifiable theoretically with quantum mechanics (the classical mechanics description is limited by the Planck constant and is more of an experimental fact).
But let's start with the classical view, using phase space (a plot of the position vs. the momentum of a particle or set of particles). You pick a point and that represents a particle and you trace it through phase space. Since they're deterministic equations in the classical view, you can trace them back to their origin with no problem, even chaotic systems.
Now, if we consider quantum mechanics, we suddenly have an issue when we trace the particle back to it's origin on the phase plot. Namely, that it could have come from any arbitrary point within a circle the size of Planck's constant (which is an area on the phaseplot).
That is, due to indistinguishability and Heisenberg uncertainty, we have an inherent loss of information in the universe about the state of the particles whose motion (characterized by position and momentum) is directly related to energy and this loss of information is entropy.
When did I say or even suggest that Susskind was wrong? I simply suggested that as a pedagogical matter the concept of entropy would be easier to understand if he started at the beginning rather than at the end of the history of that concept. His lecture, after all, is supposed to be an introduction of the second law of thermodynamics.Pythagorean said:Which is why I liked Susskind's treatment, but now I'm bein told Susskind was wrong by AM (or at least my interpretation of it).
Science is not about "belief". It is about understanding so as to be able to describe and predict the behaviour of the physical world. So you should use the resources that best help you acquire that understanding. I would recommend Feynman's lectures on Physics Vol 1, Ch. 39-46.So who do I beleive? Somebody on physics forums or a Stanford professor of quantum statistics?
.
Andy Resnick said:Believe who you want- science cares not a whit about credentials.
Andrew Mason said:Science is not about "belief".
atyy said:(i) Does classical statistical mechanics require QM for its justification - no. We can stick to canonical variables in phase space. The conservation of phase space volume is not at odds with the apparent increase in volume that we call an increase in entropy - see eg. http://www.necsi.edu/projects/baranger/cce.pdf
(ii) Does classical statistical mechanics of identical particles require QM for its justification -yes. Because classically, identical particles have distinct trajectories, and so cannot be really identical.
Your professor was probably referring to the second idea, not the first.
moonman239 said:Title says it all.
Pythagorean said:I'm kind of offended that you guys replied with this banal pedantry. Especially when I was asking for rationalization (see Redx's ant atyy's replies). Do I have to lecture you about the word belief and how it doesn't imply that science is a religion when scientists talk about beliefs? I don't think so.
The discussion with my professor was about the cause of thermodynamics (a physical description of why it must be so). The conflict you're talking about was my own misunderstanding of a lecture (I rewatched it. It's right where a student asks a question that I can't hear and I took Susskind's answer in the context of the lecture). This conflict was resolved by both your and Redx's replies.
I'm still curious if there is such a mechanistic description in classical thermodynamics? Would the statistical definition really satisfy that?
Pythagorean said:I'm still curious if there is such a mechanistic description in classical thermodynamics? Would the statistical definition really satisfy that?
Andy Resnick said:I apologize- I was having a bad day yesterday and tossed off a snippy comment. I know you make an honest effort to understand things.
But getting back to the point, the concept of 'entropy' admits many interpretations (thermodynamic, statistical, information, etc), and while these interpretations are (as they must be) equivalent, one interpretation may be more 'useful' to describe a situation than another.
Claims that QM (or SM) is *required* to *understand* or*explain* thermodynamics are not founded on good science. To ask why physical reality *must* be the way it is leads to the anthromorphic principle, which I am personally uncomfortable with.
Neumaier said:The second law follows from classical statistical mechanics in the same way as from quantum statistical mechanics. The treatment by Gibbs 1902 was classical but survived the quantum revolution without any qualitative changes, and without quantitative changes bigger than O(hbar).
What does not follow from classical statistical mechanics is that mixing identical substances does not increase the entropy. But this follows by extending the state space to one with a variable number of particles (for the grand canonical ensemble) and weighting the Liouville measure for the N-particle space by 1/N!, corresponding to Boltzmann counting. The factor can be interpreted as accounting for indistinguishability of the particles. Nothing quantum is needed for that.
However, quantum field theory explains indistinguishability in a very natural way.
Pythagorean said:Returning to the spring discussion, a block of concrete can have a spring constant, but it's nothing you'd realize unless you understood compressibility and solid state physics. The micro explanation is more general and covers more cases of "springiness" than the macro treatment of hooke's law. But it also explains why we have springiness in all macro materials.
Sorry. I certainly didn't mean to offend, but I can see how you might take it that way. I didn't mean to be banal or pedantic. Sometimes we need to rein in our rhetoric. Again sorry for that.Pythagorean said:I'm kind of offended that you guys replied with this banal pedantry. Especially when I was asking for rationalization (see Redx's ant atyy's replies). Do I have to lecture you about the word belief and how it doesn't imply that science is a religion when scientists talk about beliefs? I don't think so.
Andrew Mason said:Sorry. I certainly didn't mean to offend, but I can see how you might take it that way. I didn't mean to be banal or pedantic. Sometimes we need to rein in our rhetoric. Again sorry for that.
AM
atyy said:(i) Does classical statistical mechanics require QM for its justification - no. We can stick to canonical variables in phase space. The conservation of phase space volume is not at odds with the apparent increase in volume that we call an increase in entropy - see eg. http://www.necsi.edu/projects/baranger/cce.pdf
RedX said:Still, how do you normalize phase space without hbar?
RedX said:I think that's probably what Susskind is thinking (although I admit I didn't watch Susskind's lectures (lack of time)), using quantum mechanics to explain how an apparent increase can be taken as a real increase, since there is no such thing as filling half a pixel of hbar -
atyy said:The usual trick is to say, eg. in the microcanonical ensemble, instead of just considering all states with exactly energy E (surface in phase space), we consider all states with energy E plus some slack (volume in phase space). Then you can use the volume as the normalization factor.
Susskind was reluctant to talk about QM; the students kept pushing him with questions until he admitted that there was an h-bar limit, but I couldn't hear the questions, so the students themselves could have already invoked QM and that's what he conceded to.
In the grand canonical ensemble, one must weight the contributions of the N-particle integrals appropriately by factors whose unit is action^{-N}, in order to get something dimensionless.Pythagorean said:But I'm still kind of curious why we would have to grain the volume in the first place? Why should there be a constant associated with the phase volume? Shouldn't we expect continuity in classical treatment?
For a macroscopic body, is impossible to reverse all these velocities. Thus the paradox has no experimental relevance.lalbatros said:Nevertheless, the Locksmith paradox remains in these experiments. Reversing all the velocities midway on the path to equilibrium leads to a temporary decrease of entropy followed by a new increasing entropy history.
A. Neumaier said:For a macroscopic body, is impossible to reverse all these velocities. Thus the paradox has no experimental relevance.
The entropy can decrease easily in open nonequilibrium systems. The precise formulation of the second law is that the local mean entropy production is always nonnegative.lalbatros said:"Preparing an entropy-decreasing system is too difficult to be part of physics?"
No. it just means that the uncertainty in checking things gets bigger and bigger as your systems get smaller and smaller. So the second law means less and less.lalbatros said:In addition, microfluctuations by themselves are deviations from the second principle.Would that imply that there is a no man's land in physics, somewhere between microscopic and macroscopic, where there is no law and no understanding?
It is like the split between observer and observed, one can put it wherever one likes, without changing the physics.lalbatros said:Where do you put the boundary between microscopic and macroscopic?
A. Neumaier said:The entropy can decrease easily in open nonequilibrium systems.