Evaluating a Double Integral Using Polar Coordinates

In summary, the problem asks to evaluate the double integral with given limits using polar coordinates. The integrand can be converted to polar form, and the limits of integration can be determined by drawing a picture. The region of integration is the lower right quarter of a circle of radius 2.
pern_comoto
Okay I have no idea where to start on this example problem:

Use polar coordinates to evaulate the double integral e^((x^2)+(y^2))dydx
[frist (inner) integal lower limit y= -sqrt(4-x^2) upper limit y=0)]
[second (outer) lower limit x=0 upper limit x=2]

When I start doing the integral of e^((x^2)+(y^2))dy I get some really crazy answer and then I don't know if I should put it in polar coordinates before I try and take the integral or after. Can you tell me where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
pern_comoto said:
Okay I have no idea where to start on this example problem:

Use polar coordinates to evaulate the double integral e^((x^2)+(y^2))dydx
[frist (inner) integal lower limit y= -sqrt(4-x^2) upper limit y=0)]
[second (outer) lower limit x=0 upper limit x=2]

When I start doing the integral of e^((x^2)+(y^2))dy I get some really crazy answer and then I don't know if I should put it in polar coordinates before I try and take the integral or after. Can you tell me where to start?
How in the world would you get "some really crazy answer"? It's pretty well known that there is no elementary anti-derivative for [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex]- not even a "crazy" one!

Also, since the problem is to evaluate the integral, I would see no point in changing to polar coordinates after integrating!

What do you start? By doing what the problem says: "use polar coordinates"!
Of course [itex]e^{-(x^2+ y^2)}[/itex] converts to [itex]e^{-r^2}[/itex]. Do you know how dydx converts?

To get the limits of integration, draw a picture. [itex]y= -\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] is the lower half of the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] which has center at the origin and radius 2. x going from 0 to 2 means you are to the right of the y-axis. The region you are integrating over is the lower right quarter of a circle of radius 2. How do r and [itex]\theta[/itex] change to cover that region?

1. How do you determine the limits of integration when using polar coordinates?

When evaluating a double integral using polar coordinates, the limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the region in the Cartesian plane. The inner integral limits will correspond to the radius, while the outer integral limits will correspond to the angle.

2. What is the formula for converting a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

The formula for converting a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates is:
∫∫R f(x,y) dA = ∫∫D f(r cosθ, r sinθ) r dr dθ
where R represents the region in the Cartesian plane and D represents the region in polar coordinates.

3. Can you use polar coordinates to evaluate a double integral over a non-circular region?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to evaluate a double integral over a non-circular region. The region can be divided into smaller, circular regions and the double integral can be evaluated over each circular region separately, then summed together to get the overall value.

4. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates to evaluate a double integral?

Using polar coordinates can simplify the evaluation of a double integral, especially for regions with circular symmetry. It also allows for the integration of functions that are difficult to integrate in Cartesian coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates for evaluating a double integral?

One limitation of using polar coordinates is that it can only be used for regions with circular or radial symmetry. It may also be more difficult to determine the limits of integration for more complex regions compared to Cartesian coordinates.