Why is my homemade generator not working?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter nova_n
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello! first post!

help.png

So my copper wire is 24 gauge, aka 0.51mm diameter. And the spool was filled to the full volume of the cylinder. In the finalized coil, the portion in between the walls is 7.75cm in length, and the coil(not the black walls) is 7.5 cm. I found that by taking the diameter of the walls and subtracting it from the length of a line that goes up from the red wire, all the way to the edge. The hole in the black spool is about 1.75 cm. Approximating the coil as many circles stacked onto eachother, i have 112 layers, and 151 coils per layer. This means i have approximately 16912 turns.

I made sure the turns ALL go in the same direction

However, when i use my 90 lb pull force cup magnets, and make sure that the changing field is parallel to the coil, i can only induce 0.2 volts moving it slowly.

When he was building it, he only used 300 turns,didn't have an iron/steel core, and used weak ceramic magnets. And he even spun the magnets slowly, and managed to get 1.5-3 volts out of it.

I tried spinning my cup magnets with the power drill that can go 700 rpm max, and that actually induced less voltage.

I suspect there may be breaks in the enamel, but I couldn't see them. That wouldn't make sense though, because it could pick up a spoon when i turned it into an electromagnet with 18v running through Any input on what went wrong?

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You do not explain how the magnets move inside the coil. It appears that their axis spins along the axis of your external coil because you are "making sure that the changing field is parallel to the coil". If so, they will produce minimal magnetic flux change through the coils. If you look at the video that you posted, any one of the magnets is spinning so that its north-south axis reverses direction relative to the coil axis after half a turn. That's very important and if it doesn't happen in your setup, would be the cause of the lack of induced voltage.

Last edited:
yes. I spin it that way. I didnt put it in the icture. But basically, i put a screwdriver in the drill, and 5 magnets on each side. I find stuff to shove between the sides to separate them. So L1 would have 5 magnets, and L2 would also have 5 magnets. The axis is the screwdriver.

Is the magnetic field just not cutting through enough turns?, Like is my coil too thick, and the magnetic field doesnt cut through enough of the turns?

Last edited:
berkeman
Mentor
I didnt put it in the icture.
Could you Upload a picture so we can see exactly what your setup is? Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to Upload a PDF or JPEG image to a new Reply from you. Thanks. :smile: