Why is my homemade generator not working?

In summary, Kuruman was able to get 0.2 volts out of his copper wire coil when he was able to induce movement using 90 lb pull force ceramic magnets. He suspects that there may be breaks in the enamel on the magnets, which would prevent them from producing enough magnetic flux change through the coil.
nova_n
Hello! first post!

help.png

So my copper wire is 24 gauge, aka 0.51mm diameter. And the spool was filled to the full volume of the cylinder. In the finalized coil, the portion in between the walls is 7.75cm in length, and the coil(not the black walls) is 7.5 cm. I found that by taking the diameter of the walls and subtracting it from the length of a line that goes up from the red wire, all the way to the edge. The hole in the black spool is about 1.75 cm. Approximating the coil as many circles stacked onto each other, i have 112 layers, and 151 coils per layer. This means i have approximately 16912 turns.

I made sure the turns ALL go in the same direction

However, when i use my 90 lb pull force cup magnets, and make sure that the changing field is parallel to the coil, i can only induce 0.2 volts moving it slowly.

When he was building it, he only used 300 turns,didn't have an iron/steel core, and used weak ceramic magnets. And he even spun the magnets slowly, and managed to get 1.5-3 volts out of it.

I tried spinning my cup magnets with the power drill that can go 700 rpm max, and that actually induced less voltage.

I suspect there may be breaks in the enamel, but I couldn't see them. That wouldn't make sense though, because it could pick up a spoon when i turned it into an electromagnet with 18v running through Any input on what went wrong?

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not explain how the magnets move inside the coil. It appears that their axis spins along the axis of your external coil because you are "making sure that the changing field is parallel to the coil". If so, they will produce minimal magnetic flux change through the coils. If you look at the video that you posted, anyone of the magnets is spinning so that its north-south axis reverses direction relative to the coil axis after half a turn. That's very important and if it doesn't happen in your setup, would be the cause of the lack of induced voltage.

Last edited:
It is hard to visualize what @kuruman said without a picture. Do your magnets spin as shown in this picture?

Q4Qg1.png

If you spin this way, it won't work.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRP7uc5wRf9iRBSER0cIun5iehfEzfz9Hqi7a7LihffyEtt-WAzQ.jpg

Attachments

• Q4Qg1.png
    Q4Qg1.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 973
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRP7uc5wRf9iRBSER0cIun5iehfEzfz9Hqi7a7LihffyEtt-WAzQ.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRP7uc5wRf9iRBSER0cIun5iehfEzfz9Hqi7a7LihffyEtt-WAzQ.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 850
Likes kuruman
anorlunda said:
It is hard to visualize what @kuruman said without a picture. Do your magnets spin as shown in this picture?

View attachment 236343

If you spin this way, it won't work.
View attachment 236344
Yes, you said with pictures what I tried to say with just words.

yes. I spin it that way. I didnt put it in the icture. But basically, i put a screwdriver in the drill, and 5 magnets on each side. I find stuff to shove between the sides to separate them. So L1 would have 5 magnets, and L2 would also have 5 magnets. The axis is the screwdriver.

Is the magnetic field just not cutting through enough turns?, Like is my coil too thick, and the magnetic field doesn't cut through enough of the turns?

Last edited:
nova_n said:
I didnt put it in the icture.
Could you Upload a picture so we can see exactly what your setup is? Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to Upload a PDF or JPEG image to a new Reply from you. Thanks. :smile:

1. Why is my homemade generator not producing electricity?

There could be several reasons why your homemade generator is not producing electricity. One common reason is that the wiring may be incorrect or incomplete. Make sure all the connections are properly attached and secure. Another reason could be that the magnets in the rotor are not properly aligned or the coils are not wound correctly. It is also possible that the generator is not spinning at a fast enough speed to produce electricity.

2. Why is my homemade generator not starting?

If your homemade generator is not starting, there could be a few different issues. First, make sure that the fuel tank is filled and that the spark plug is clean and in good condition. If these are not the problem, it is possible that the engine is flooded or the carburetor needs to be adjusted. It is also important to check the oil levels and make sure they are at the appropriate level.

3. Why is my homemade generator making strange noises?

If your generator is making strange noises, it could indicate a mechanical issue. It is possible that a part is loose or damaged, which could be causing the noise. It is important to turn off the generator immediately and inspect it for any visible damage. If you are unable to determine the cause of the noise, it is best to consult a professional.

4. Why is my homemade generator not providing enough power?

If your homemade generator is not providing enough power, it is possible that the load is too high for the generator to handle. Make sure to check the wattage of the appliances or devices that are being powered by the generator to ensure they are within the generator's capacity. It is also important to check the voltage and current output of the generator to make sure it is functioning properly.

5. Why is my homemade generator overheating?

Overheating is a common issue with generators and can be caused by a few different factors. It is possible that the generator is being overloaded or running for an extended period of time without a break. Make sure to give the generator breaks to cool down and avoid overloading it. It is also important to check the oil levels and make sure they are at the correct level. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the cooling system and it is best to consult a professional.