Windows security for different user types

In summary: Whether this will work perfectly or not, I am not sure. You can also hide the drives from My Computer in the Registry.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Windows 8.1 and the security tab in the properties of the C drive. The user is wondering if they can delete all groups and users from the security tab and only add their own username. The expert explains that this may cause issues with services running under the SYSTEM user group and recommends creating a standard account for the nephew to restrict access to certain drives. Additionally, the expert suggests hiding the drives from My Computer through the Registry.
Lizabella
I am using Windows 8.1. Right-clicking on my drive C, where I install windows, and choosing properties shows me the security tab. I see some groups and users that have privileges to use the drive. What if I delete all of them and add only my own username in there ? For instance, can I still boot the computer in save mode ? Thank you. :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you for instance remove the SYSTEM user group, services running in the context of SYSTEM (real name is LocalSystem, "SYSTEM" is just a token within the LocalSystem account) may misbehave.

I have no idea if it will boot in safe mode. It should. Just that whatever it is that runs under the token SYSTEM in safe mode, will simply not work or may misbehave.

If you search, you will find in other forums that some have removed this user group and had no problem whatsoever with their system. At least not visible. I'm sure something broke, but they say it was fine.

Sources:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms684190(v=vs.85).aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa379624(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited:
Likes Lizabella
I have an anoying nephew who always messes up all stuff in my computer when I am not at home. I don't want him to access to read or store files into my data drives (D or E). Even though I have a local account set up as an administrator user, usually other accounts with similar privileges can still see and access these 2 drives. I now use bit lockers to encrypt both and also I delete all users except me and System as seen in the security tab.

I see. In any case you can alternatively try creating a standard account for your nephew. Then, go to one of the drives (say D), right click it and in the Security tab set the permissions for your nephew's account to Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read. Leave it out of other permissions. Do that with each data drive you don't want your nephew messing around and it should be okay.

At least in theory.

I would recommend against deleting all groups and users from the security tab on your Windows 8.1 drive. This could potentially cause issues with accessing and using your computer, as other users and groups may have important permissions and privileges necessary for the proper functioning of the operating system.

Instead, I would suggest carefully reviewing the list of users and groups and adjusting their permissions and privileges as needed. This can help ensure that your personal data and files are secure while still allowing for the proper functioning of the operating system.

Additionally, it is important to note that even with only your own username added to the security tab, you should still be able to boot the computer in safe mode. Safe mode is a troubleshooting option that allows you to start Windows with only the most essential drivers and services, regardless of the user permissions and privileges set on the drive. Therefore, deleting other users and groups from the security tab should not affect your ability to boot in safe mode.

What is "Windows security" and why is it important for different user types?

"Windows security" refers to the measures taken to protect the Windows operating system and its data from unauthorized access, viruses, malware, and other threats. It is important for different user types because each type of user has different levels of access and privileges, and their security needs may vary based on their role and responsibilities within the organization.

What are the different user types in Windows security?

The different user types in Windows security include administrators, standard users, and guest users. Administrators have full control over the system and can make changes to settings, install software, and manage other users. Standard users have limited privileges and can only make changes to their own accounts and some system settings. Guest users have the most restricted access and are typically only allowed to use certain applications or services.

What are some common security threats for different user types in Windows?

Some common security threats for different user types in Windows include phishing attacks, malware infections, social engineering, and weak passwords. Administrators may also face targeted attacks from hackers due to their high level of access and privileges.

How can different user types improve their Windows security?

Different user types can improve their Windows security by following best practices such as regularly updating their operating system and software, using strong and unique passwords, being cautious of suspicious emails and links, and limiting the use of administrator accounts to only necessary tasks. They can also use additional security measures such as two-factor authentication and antivirus software.

What are some tools and features in Windows that can enhance security for different user types?

Windows offers various tools and features that can enhance security for different user types, such as Windows Defender, which provides real-time protection against viruses and malware. Other tools include Windows Hello, which uses biometric authentication for login, and AppLocker, which allows administrators to control which applications can be run on the system. Additionally, Windows allows for different levels of user access and permissions, which can help in managing and securing different user types.