• Thread starter JPC
  • Start date

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Interesting

Loopholes keep Windows XP alive
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7370821.stm
PC makers are finding ways to keep selling Windows XP despite Microsoft efforts to remove it from sale.

Dell, HP and Lenovo are exploiting loopholes in Microsoft's licensing terms to extend the operating system beyond a 30 June end of life date.

XP is being phased out in favour of Windows Vista which has, so far, got a lukewarm welcome from many firms.

The news comes as Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer hints that XP could live longer if enough customers demand it.

Long life

Dell is using a clause in the conditions for Windows Vista which lets it provide XP under the terms of a "downgrade license" for the Business and Ultimate versions of the new operating system.

This means that Dell can install Windows XP Professional for free on its Latitude, OptiPlex, and Precision machines. In the main these deals are meant for business customers.

For consumers and small firms Dell will, for a fee, install XP Pro on Vostro and XPS gaming machines.

HP is also using the "downgrade" option to keep selling XP with some models until 30 July 2009.
I've heard good things about Ubuntu.

Dont get Vista! I have it and my computer freezes up like every couple minutes! If it wasn't for the backup function on Microsoft Word, I would have lost the most complicated page I have ever written!

vista is just simply a nightmare i cant stand it i do have a very powerful pc like dual core 2gb ram gforce 8800 1tb hdd space but i mean in vista its soooo slow.

Why should i have to keep upgrading my pc just because of microsoft demanding more and more high power hardware. To run an operating system that just crashes soo much.

Ubuntu does everything for me. Sure if you look at the slackware minimum sys requirments it runs on like really old i486 etc haha. but with ubuntu your computer is just really awesome haha

like say hmm you want to install filezilla ftp client you could go to add/remove programs or terminal apt-get install filezilla... like does anything else windows have even come close to something as cool as that.

I switched to linux full time last year and i have to say my mathemtics and programming skills went wayyyyyyyyyyy up and i contrubuted to aTunes on sourcefoge etc and your computer gets regualr security updates like there recently there was that reallly scary local expoloit like 200 lines of c code if you complied and ran on an unpatched kernal you would get full root acess to that machine..

within 3 hours of that comming out the kernal dev's over the world patched it.

does windows do anything like that... in windows you have to install firewalls anti virus.. and spyware etc and in windows you computer is covered in adverts.

sorry it drives me mad. although you can dual boot with windows to play some new games is a good idea when you first dip your toes into it.

oh and another thing because ext3 is jounaling you dont have to defrag your pc every month haha :P or use ccleaner to clean bad registry details haha :P

JPC

I never use CCcleaner since it deleted an important registry value, and since i dont enable 'system resoration' (so that virus are not saved in a registry backup), i had to spend a lot of time to fix this

Ubuntu has u say would be good if you are a professional at programing. I know how to do a lot of things with XP, i know how to program simple things like 'webbrowser, coder, automatic web submiter (on VB)
I could try ubunto to reach another level, but i dont have the time with all my chemistry and physics studies

Last edited:
Vista doesn't run bad at all if you know how to disable all the additional feature that are automatically enabled with the default install.

I just recently put Vista-32bit on a customers PC that only has as a single core 3.8GHz 570J P4 and it runs just fine. It's been three months now with no problems what so ever. The PC also has a single old 7600GS video card and 2GB of PC6400 ram.

It's all in configuration.

The motherboard he's using is also 2-1/2 years old now. Old nForce4 chipset. One thing I will say, if your running cutting edge hardware or runing programs that push the system, Vista can cause problems. Then again, with my performance rig that has Vista-64bit (notorious for having problems vs. 32), I haven't had any issues except for with my sound card. That problem has since been corrected though.

Last edited: