How Is Work Calculated in a Diesel Engine Thermodynamic Cycle?

In summary, the conversation discusses engine data for a heat engine cycle, specifically for a Diesel engine. It includes state and pressure data at different points in the cycle, as well as a compression and expansion index of 1.4. The question is to determine the work done in kJ in the cycle. The attempt at a solution involves using different equations for constant volume, pressure, and temperature, as well as creating a P-v diagram. There is uncertainty about whether some of the processes are polypropic and how to calculate the work in those cases. The output of -30431.859(kJ) is deemed incorrect and there is a question about whether to convert Pa to kPa or MPa. The individual welcomes any help,
EngNoob

Homework Statement

Engine data for a heat engine cycle, ie: Diesel.

State ...|...1...|...2...|...3...|...4...|
Pressure(Pa) | 1x10^5 | 11.764x10^5 | 11.764x10^5 | 2.207x10^5 |

Volume(m^3) |. 0.826 .|... 0.142 ...|... 0.25 ...|... 0.826 ...|

The gas has a compression and expansion index of 1.4,

determine the work done in (kJ) in the cycle.

Homework Equations

I am not sure. But to have an attempt i would say.

Constant Volume: W = 0

Constant Pressure: W = P(V_2 - V_1)

Constant Tempreture: W = P_2 * V_2 * ln (V_2/V_1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a P-v diagram, and came up with.

1-2: Istothermal (Constant Tempreture)
2-3: Isobaric (Constant Pressure)
3-4: Isothermal (Constant Tempreture)
4-1: Ischoric (Constant Volume)

I am unsure about

1-2 and 3-4 as it could be a polypropic process (Temp/Press/Vol Change) but i think this has to do with the exp/comp index? but not sure how to figure out?

I came up with

-30431.859(kJ)

I think this is wrong, as this would indicate mins work.

Do i need to convert PA to KPA or MPA?

I would welcome any help, advice, or some hints/tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any Ideas Anyone? Would really appreciate it, a very lot.

Does anyone know the Notation for the expansion and compresion index?

Based on the data provided, it appears that the engine is operating through a four-stroke cycle, which is commonly used in Diesel engines. The four strokes are intake, compression, power, and exhaust. In the intake stroke, the piston moves down and draws in a mixture of air and fuel into the cylinder. In the compression stroke, the piston moves up and compresses the mixture, increasing the pressure and temperature. In the power stroke, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug, causing a rapid expansion of gases and pushing the piston down. Finally, in the exhaust stroke, the piston moves up and pushes the remaining exhaust gases out of the cylinder.

To calculate the work done in this cycle, we can use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In this case, we can assume that the heat added to the system is equal to the work done by the engine, as there is no other source of energy being added or removed.

Using the equations you have provided, we can calculate the work done in each stroke of the cycle. In the intake stroke (1-2), the volume is increasing at a constant pressure, so the work done is given by W = P(V_2 - V_1). In the compression stroke (2-3), the volume is decreasing at a constant temperature, so the work done is given by W = P_2 * V_2 * ln (V_2/V_1). In the power stroke (3-4), the volume is increasing at a constant temperature, so the work done is given by W = P_2 * V_2 * ln (V_2/V_1). And in the exhaust stroke (4-1), the volume is constant, so the work done is zero.

To calculate the work done in the entire cycle, we need to sum up the work done in each stroke. This will give us the net work done by the engine. Since we are given the pressures and volumes at each state, we can plug them into the equations and calculate the work done. However, we also need to consider the compression and expansion index of the gas, which is given as 1.4. This index represents the ratio of specific heats for the gas, and it affects the calculation of work done in the compression and expansion strokes.

Without going through the

1. What is work done in thermodynamics?

Work done in thermodynamics refers to the transfer of energy from one system to another through mechanical means, such as pushing or pulling. In thermodynamics, work is typically represented by the letter W and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done related to heat transfer in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work done and heat transfer are both forms of energy transfer. Work done is a transfer of energy through mechanical means, while heat transfer is a transfer of energy through thermal means. Both play important roles in changes of state and processes in thermodynamic systems.

3. What is the work-energy principle in thermodynamics?

The work-energy principle states that the work done on a system results in a change in the energy of that system. This can be seen in thermodynamic processes where work done on a system can increase its internal energy or do work on the surroundings.

4. How is work done calculated in thermodynamics?

The amount of work done in a thermodynamic process can be calculated using the equation W = F x d, where W is work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. In more complex thermodynamic processes, this equation may be modified to account for changes in pressure, volume, and other variables.

5. Can work done be negative in thermodynamics?

Yes, work done can be negative in thermodynamics. This occurs when work is done by the system, rather than on the system. For example, in an expansion process, the system does work on the surroundings, resulting in a negative value for work done. This is often represented by a negative sign in the work equation.