Angle of principal stress vs maximum shear stress

In summary, the maximum shear stress in this problem occurs at an angle of -55 degrees, which is the principal stress angle. This is consistent with the direction of the arrows in the figure accompanying the problem statement. The maximum shear stress is -90.13 MPa, and the unit vector in the direction of this shear stress is -0.578i + 0.816j. However, another angle at which the maximum shear stress occurs is at 35.3 degrees, which is also consistent with the direction of the arrows. The maximum shear stress at this angle is also -90.13 MPa, but the unit vector in the direction of this shear stress is 0.816i + 0.578j.
fonseh said:
Postive y-axis (upwards) am I right?
No. ##i_{\theta}## is tangent to the circumference. So, again, what direction is it pointing?

Likes fonseh
Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
No. ##i_{\theta}## is tangent to the circumference. So, again, what direction is it pointing?
As the angle is rotated anticlockwise , so the tangent at here pointing to the left ? Pls refer to the photo below ?

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 364
fonseh said:
As the angle is rotated anticlockwise , so the tangent at here pointing to the left ? Pls refer to the photo below ?
Yes. It is pointing in the negative x direction. It is thus equal to ##-\vec{i}##, where ##\vec{i}## is the cartesian unit vector in the (positive) x direction.

Likes fonseh
Chestermiller said:
Yes. It is pointing in the negative x direction. It is thus equal to ##-\vec{i}##, where ##\vec{i}## is the cartesian unit vector in the (positive) x direction.
ok , i don't understand why you are considering the vector of the tangent of the line ?

fonseh said:
ok , i don't understand why you are considering the vector of the tangent of the line ?
Because that is the direction of the shear stress on a plane tangent to the cylinder.

Likes fonseh
Chestermiller said:
Because that is the direction of the shear stress on a plane tangent to the cylinder.
Can you explain further ? I still didnt get that

Last edited:
fonseh said:
Can you explain further ?
We are trying to determine the normal stress and shear stress on planes of various orientations within the material. The tangent planes to a cylinder whose axis is pointing in the z direction include all possible orientations of such planes.

Likes fonseh
Chestermiller said:
We are trying to determine the normal stress and shear stress on planes of various orientations within the material. The tangent planes to a cylinder whose axis is pointing in the z direction include all possible orientations of such planes.
We are dealing with stress in 2 dimension only , right ? which are y and x axes , right ?

fonseh said:
We are dealing with stress in 2 dimension only , right ? which are y and x axes , right ?
Right. The planes tangent to the cylinder I indicated include all the planes of interest in our x-y framework. The unit vectors normal and tangent to the planes I indicated all lie within the x-y plane (a plane of constant z). Not only do these tangent planes to the cylinder include all possible orientations, but they are automatically ordered in sequence.

Likes fonseh
Chestermiller said:
why are they many orientations ? there are only positive / negative x and y axes , right ?

Chestermiller said:
Right. The planes tangent to the cylinder I indicated include all the planes of interest in our x-y framework. The unit vectors normal and tangent to the planes I indicated all lie within the x-y plane (a plane of constant z). Not only do these tangent planes to the cylinder include all possible orientations, but they are automatically ordered in sequence.
why there is cylinder ? in the original question in post # 1, it's a cube , right ? or something which has square / rectangular base

fonseh said:
why there is cylinder ? in the original question in post # 1, it's a cube , right ? or something which has square / rectangular base
I doesn't have to be square or rectangular. You do realize that what we are trying to do here is determine the normal stress and the shear stress on a plane of arbitrarily specified spatial orientation, given the normal stress and shear stresses on two specific planes, one oriented perpendicular to the x-axis (normal- and shear stresses ##\sigma_x## and ##\tau_{xy}##) and the other perpendicular to the y-axis (normal- and shear stresses ##\sigma_y## and ##\tau_{xy}##), correct? In the problem statement, part iii, they specify a particular plane and then ask you to determine the normal- and shear stresses on this plane. That is the whole objective of what we are trying to do here. So, don't get hung up on cubes and rectangles.

The reason we are working with a cylinder is that the infinite set of planes tangent to the cylinder include all possible orientations of such planes, ordered in sequence as a function of ##\theta##. The Mohr's circle presents the combination of normal stress and shear stress for the entire set of possible planes.

Likes fonseh
Chestermiller said:
I doesn't have to be square or rectangular. You do realize that what we are trying to do here is determine the normal stress and the shear stress on a plane of arbitrarily specified spatial orientation, given the normal stress and shear stresses on two specific planes, one oriented perpendicular to the x-axis (normal- and shear stresses ##\sigma_x## and ##\tau_{xy}##) and the other perpendicular to the y-axis (normal- and shear stresses ##\sigma_y## and ##\tau_{xy}##), correct? In the problem statement, part iii, they specify a particular plane and then ask you to determine the normal- and shear stresses on this plane. That is the whole objective of what we are trying to do here. So, don't get hung up on cubes and rectangles.

The reason we are working with a cylinder is that the infinite set of planes tangent to the cylinder include all possible orientations of such planes, ordered in sequence as a function of ##\theta##. The Mohr's circle presents the combination of normal stress and shear stress for the entire set of possible planes.
ok , i understand it . Although it's not quite related to mechanics of materials . I was hoping to verify the sign convention of the stresses in mohr's circle .Although now i am still not sure why some books plot the postive shear stress axis downwards / upwards , and the shear stress that turn the element clockwise / anticlockwise is positive