1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending moment

1. Aug 16, 2006 #1
    Calculate the bending moment in the centre of the axle??
    What limit stress is valid for this loading case ?

may i know how to form the moment eqn??
    F=300N

picture - http://files.filefront.com//;5410274;;/

pls help
    thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2
    What do you think? Try to form the equation on your own and we will inspect it.

4. Aug 16, 2006 #3
    i have try it many times but i don't know.
    if in mechanics,this have to use the heaviside function,but this is machine design.therefore ,i don't know what to use.

i assume it is F(1) <x-175>^0 + F(1)<x-825^0>...
    but i think this is incorrect

5. Aug 16, 2006 #4
    Well, heaviside functions aren't needed here.

Step 1: Determine the value of [tex]F_{1}[/tex] using equilibrium condition along the vertical (y-axis).

Step 2: By considering half part of the rotating machine (cut machine into two at the centre), write down the bending moment equation of either side using [tex]\sum\vec{F}l=\vec{M_{b}}[/tex]. It will be the same for the other half since it is symmetrical.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  6. Aug 16, 2006 #5
    if i cut into the half,then i'll get F * 325mm = M(b) rite??am i correct??

if it is correct,in order to find limit stress = bending moment / W , where W= pi (d^3) / 64 right??
    how can i find the diameter and which shaft should i consider??

7. Aug 16, 2006 #6
    [​IMG]

Your answer isn't correct. Try writing down the moment at C. Then we discuss the rest of the question.

8. Aug 16, 2006 #7
    then it should be M + (F1*325) - (1/2F * 500) =0 right??am i correct??

if it is correct,in order to find limit stress = bending moment / W , where W= pi (d^3) / 64 right??
    how can i find the diameter and which shaft should i consider??

9. Aug 16, 2006 #8
    Bingo.

How did you obtain the W? The correct axial section modulus W is [tex]W=\frac{\pi*d^3}{32}[/tex], assuming that the cross section of the axle is not hollow.

Setting [tex]\sigma_{all}=\frac{\sigma_{lim}}{n_{s}}=\frac{M_{b}}{W_{by}}[/tex] and solve for the diameter d as you have found [tex]M_{b}[/tex] in the first part, [tex]\sigma_{lim}[/tex] can be found in a strength data table, depending on the material given and the safety factor should be, well, leave the diameter in terms of [tex]n_{s}[/tex] if it isn't stated.

10. Aug 16, 2006 #9
    ok......thanx...pls help me in the other question in the engineering side...thanx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?