Best truss bridge design for this school project?

In summary: Welcome to the PF. :smile:Please post all of the rules for this competition. There is a trivial answer if it is not covered by the rules.Also, what are your thoughts so far? We cannot provide tutorial help unless we see a lot of effort on your part. Thanks.The rules include the height being 6cm to 10cm, length 25-30cm, and width 6-7.5 cm.The height is not a restriction, however the bridge must be at least 6 cm to 10 cm high.The length is not a restriction, however the bridge must be at least 25 cm long.The width is not a
Lietenacious
New user has been reminded to post schoolwork questions in the Homework Help forums and show their work
Summary:: In my course, we have to design a truss bridge (made out of balsa wood sticks) that can withstand the most weight compared to its mass. It’s our final, so very important haha. One of the rules is we can’t stack the wood right on top of each other to support it (just preventing us from gluing 20 sticks together for the final lol)

One of the rules is we can’t stack the wood right on top of each other to support it (just preventing us from gluing 20 sticks together for the final lol). I do understand that triangles are the best way to go, but I was thinking about having an arched top with Xs on the top and layering Xs on the bottom so it doesn’t break easily. Yet, that’s adding more mass and I’m wondering if it’s necessary, as our teacher is going to compare the weight and mass rather than just weight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Please post all of the rules for this competition. There is a trivial answer if it is not covered by the rules.

Also, what are your thoughts so far? We cannot provide tutorial help unless we see a lot of effort on your part. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Please post all of the rules for this competition. There is a trivial answer if it is not covered by the rules.

Also, what are your thoughts so far? We cannot provide tutorial help unless we see a lot of effort on your part. Thanks.
The rules include the height being 6cm to 10cm, length 25-30cm, and width 6-7.5 cm. I have been coming up with personal designs and now I have a life size blueprint of the side so far. My idea for the bottom was to have a double layer of Xs to reinforce the bottom. My teacher said she’ll have a piece of wood on top with a hook hanging from it. She’ll place it on our bridge and hang a bucket on it. We’ll be putting sand in increments until our bridge breaks, then she’ll measure how much our bridge could withstand compared to the mass of our bridge. Attached is the side blueprint

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 233
Likes berkeman
Nice design to start with! Do you need a flat spot on top to accommodate the teacher's "piece of wood" loading structure?

berkeman said:
BTW, how are you going to make the joins between the pieces of wood? Are you going to be making small notches, or bolting things, or just gluing flat surfaces? Can you use little glued pins in the members at those joins to increase strength?

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/thm...types-3536631-v3-5b9827b84cedfd002536486c.png

View attachment 253624
I’ll be doing mitered butt, and no I won’t be using a flat piece to accommodate her structure. We can only use sticks and can’t layer them up to reinforce. It’s a long piece of wood she’s using to place in the middle of our bridge. And our bridge should have a small area for the hook to fall through in the middle respectively.

1. What materials should I use for the truss bridge?

The best materials for a truss bridge would depend on the specific requirements of the school project, such as weight capacity and budget. Generally, steel or wood are commonly used for truss bridges due to their strength and availability.

2. How do I determine the appropriate dimensions for the truss bridge?

The dimensions of the truss bridge will depend on the span of the bridge and the weight it needs to support. It is important to consider the forces acting on the bridge, such as tension and compression, to determine the appropriate dimensions for the truss elements.

3. Should I use a specific type of truss for the bridge design?

There are several types of truss designs, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Some common types include Pratt, Warren, and Howe trusses. It is important to research and consider the pros and cons of each type before deciding on the best one for your project.

4. How can I make sure my truss bridge design is structurally sound?

To ensure the structural integrity of your truss bridge design, it is important to use appropriate materials and dimensions, as well as considering the forces acting on the bridge. Additionally, consulting with a structural engineer or doing load testing can help verify the soundness of your design.

5. Are there any software or tools I can use to help with the truss bridge design?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available to assist with truss bridge design. Some popular options include AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Bridge Designer. These tools can help with creating accurate designs and analyzing the structural integrity of the bridge.