1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Logic

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    I am finishing my first semester as an electrical engineer. Thus, we have to do a final project. The problem is that I didn't have to much time in the lab to finish it up, so it is a little bit difficult to solve it theoretically. If anyone can help, I would be grateful.

The project is to design a simple traffic light controller using a power supply, a 555 timer, a 74163 counter, 6 LEDs , 6 330 Ohm resitors, 2 capacitors and logic gates (Later some other resistors and capacitors should be used in order to specify an exactly 1 sec. time for each count)

I went up OK with the 555 timer and counter. I connected them and the LED s too. The problem is with the logic. The LEDs do not obey the law of the traffic light. In other words there is a problem which I can't solve if I don't have the circuit in front of me. I used an AND gate, a NOT gate and I plan to use an OR one. Can you please help me to define a logic for the circuit? I tried several times but with no success. I have attached the truth table for the whole 16 sec. cycle. This is the main concern; after that I can figure out what capacitor and resistor to use so that I will have exactly 1 sec. counts.
    Thank You

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted