Calculations of Solubility Product of Lead 2 Chloride

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where the initial mass of a piece of aluminum was measured and then placed in a beaker with 100.0 mL of saturated PbCl2 solution. The concentrations of Pb and Cl were calculated and the Ksp was determined to be 9.17. The question is posed whether a precipitate of PbCl2 would form when 100.0 mL of 0.02 mol/L lead nitrate and 100.0 mL of 0.02 mol/L sodium chloride solutions are combined. The suggestion is made to compare the ionic product to the Ksp value to determine if a precipitate will form.
aisha
HELP! In this experiment I measured the initial mass of a piece of Al and then i put it into a beaker containing 100.0 mL of saturated PbCl2

The concentration I calculated for Pb is [tex] 6.12 *10^-^5 [/tex] mol/L
The concentration I calculated for Cl is [tex] 1.224* 10^-^4 [/tex] mol/L

Therefore my Ksp= [Pb] [Cl]^2
[tex] =[6.12*10^-^5] [1.224*10^-^8]^2 [/tex]
Ksp=9.17
This is what I calculated please verify

I need help answering this question if 100.0 ml of 0.02 mol/L lead 2 nitrate solution and 100.0 ml of 0.02 mol/L sodium chloride solution were combined would a precipitate of Lead 2 chloride be expected to form? I have to show all my work. But I am not sure where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
G'day, Aisha.

The first part of your post is a little confusing.

How did you calculate [Pb2+] and [Cl-]?

If these concentrations are indeed in a saturated solution then Ksp(PbCl2) = 9.16x10^(-13), just a couple of typos there.

At 25 degrees C, the Ksp of PbCl2 is about 1.6x10^(-5), so perhaps the room was cold?

If the second part is connected to the first part, then you are probably to find the ionic product (given by [Pb2+][Cl-]^2) and compare it to the Ksp value obtained earlier. Hint: for the same amount, doubling the volume halves the concentration. If IP > Ksp, a precipitate will form.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm new here but I think this belongs in the Science Education forum.

Last edited:

I would first start by reviewing the solubility product (Ksp) expression for lead 2 chloride, which is Ksp = [Pb2+][Cl-]^2. From the given information, we know that the initial concentrations of lead and chloride ions are both 0.02 mol/L. Thus, the Ksp for lead 2 chloride would be:

Ksp = (0.02 mol/L)(0.02 mol/L)^2 = 4 x 10^-6 mol^3/L^3

This value represents the maximum amount of lead 2 chloride that can dissolve in solution before reaching saturation. Therefore, if the product of the concentrations of lead and chloride ions in solution exceeds this value, a precipitate of lead 2 chloride would be expected to form.

In order to determine the actual concentrations of lead and chloride ions in solution after mixing the lead nitrate and sodium chloride solutions, we can use the principles of stoichiometry. From the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between lead nitrate and sodium chloride, we know that the ratio of lead nitrate to lead 2 chloride is 1:1. This means that the initial concentration of lead ions (0.02 mol/L) will be equal to the concentration of lead 2 chloride formed.

For chloride ions, the ratio is 2:1, meaning that for every 2 moles of chloride ions, 1 mole of lead 2 chloride will be formed. Therefore, the initial concentration of chloride ions (0.02 mol/L) will be twice the concentration of lead 2 chloride formed.

Using these principles, we can calculate the final concentrations of lead and chloride ions after mixing the solutions:

Lead ions: 0.02 mol/L (initial concentration)

Chloride ions: (0.02 mol/L x 2) + (0.02 mol/L) = 0.04 mol/L (initial concentration + additional chloride ions from reaction)

Therefore, the product of the concentrations of lead and chloride ions is:

(0.02 mol/L)(0.04 mol/L)^2 = 3.2 x 10^-5 mol^3/L^3

Since this value is larger than the Ksp value calculated earlier, a precipitate of lead 2 chloride would be expected to form.

In conclusion, based on the given information and calculations, a precipitate of lead 2 chloride would be expected to form when

1. What is the formula for calculating the solubility product of lead 2 chloride?

The formula for calculating the solubility product of lead 2 chloride is: Ksp = [Pb2+][Cl-]^2, where [Pb2+] represents the molar concentration of lead ions and [Cl-] represents the molar concentration of chloride ions.

2. How do temperature and pressure affect the solubility product of lead 2 chloride?

Increasing temperature and pressure generally increase the solubility of most substances, including lead 2 chloride. This means that the solubility product will also increase with higher temperatures and pressures. However, this relationship may not hold true for all substances, and it's always important to consider the specific properties of each substance.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculations for the solubility product of lead 2 chloride?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculations for the solubility product of lead 2 chloride. These include experimental errors, impurities in the substances used, and assumptions made about the behavior of the solution. It's important to carefully control and account for these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How is the solubility product of lead 2 chloride used in practical applications?

The solubility product of lead 2 chloride is used in various practical applications, such as in the production of lead-based paints, pigments, and dyes. It is also used in wastewater treatment processes to remove lead from contaminated water. Additionally, the solubility product can be used to predict the solubility of lead 2 chloride in different solutions, which can be helpful in various industrial processes.

5. Can the solubility product of lead 2 chloride be affected by the presence of other substances in a solution?

Yes, the solubility product of lead 2 chloride can be affected by the presence of other substances in a solution. This is because the presence of other ions can affect the equilibrium between lead ions and chloride ions, thereby changing the overall solubility of the compound. This is known as the common ion effect and must be considered when performing calculations for the solubility product of lead 2 chloride.