1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculations of Solubility Product of Lead 2 Chloride

1. Dec 18, 2005 #1
    HELP! In this experiment I measured the initial mass of a piece of Al and then i put it into a beaker containing 100.0 mL of saturated PbCl2

The concentration I calculated for Pb is [tex] 6.12 *10^-^5 [/tex] mol/L
    The concentration I calculated for Cl is [tex] 1.224* 10^-^4 [/tex] mol/L

Therefore my Ksp= [Pb] [Cl]^2
    [tex] =[6.12*10^-^5] [1.224*10^-^8]^2 [/tex]
    Ksp=9.17
    This is what I calculated please verify

I need help answering this question if 100.0 ml of 0.02 mol/L lead 2 nitrate solution and 100.0 ml of 0.02 mol/L sodium chloride solution were combined would a precipitate of Lead 2 chloride be expected to form? I have to show all my work. But im not sure where to start.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2
    G'day, Aisha.

The first part of your post is a little confusing.

How did you calculate [Pb2+] and [Cl-]?

If these concentrations are indeed in a saturated solution then Ksp(PbCl2) = 9.16x10^(-13), just a couple of typos there.

At 25 degrees C, the Ksp of PbCl2 is about 1.6x10^(-5), so perhaps the room was cold?

If the second part is connected to the first part, then you are probably to find the ionic product (given by [Pb2+][Cl-]^2) and compare it to the Ksp value obtained earlier. Hint: for the same amount, doubling the volume halves the concentration. If IP > Ksp, a precipitate will form.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm new here but I think this belongs in the Science Education forum.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?