Change in internal energy of gas (thermodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adiabatic conditions and the relationship between work and change in internal energy. It is explained that it is not possible to go through multiple paths with different amounts of work while maintaining the same change in internal energy. An example is provided to illustrate this concept.
axe34
Hi,If the change in U between 2 points (A,B) in a thermodynamic process is always the same despite the path, then please help with the following:

Say I have adiabatic conditions so that delta U = Work done only (Q=0)
Surely I can go through multiple paths between A+B with increased or decreased amounts of work? Then how can the change in internal energy be the same each time?Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
axe34 said:
Hi,If the change in U between 2 points (A,B) in a thermodynamic process is always the same despite the path, then please help with the following:

Say I have adiabatic conditions so that delta U = Work done only (Q=0)
Surely I can go through multiple paths between A+B with increased or decreased amounts of work? Then how can the change in internal energy be the same each time?Thanks
Actually, you can't go adiabatically through multiple paths between A and B with increased or decreased amounts of work. If you think you can, please provide one specific example.

Chet

Say I want to decrease pressure and volume from A to B.
Could I not drop the pressure immediately, then reduce the volume at this constant pressure. The area (work) of this graph would be less if I did a smooth transition between A + B, would it not?

axe34 said:
Say I want to decrease pressure and volume from A to B.
Could I not drop the pressure immediately, then reduce the volume at this constant pressure. The area (work) of this graph would be less if I did a smooth transition between A + B, would it not?
You can't decrease both pressure and volume adiabatically. But, suppose you wanted to decrease the imposed force per unit area immediately, and then let the volume increase adiabatically at this force per unit area. Option 2 is to do a smooth gradual transition between the initial pressure and the force per unit area you used in Option 1. The final temperature and the final volume under Option 2 would be different from the final temperature and the final volume under Option 1, the work would be different, and the change in internal energy (determined by the change in temperature) would be different. You could not reach the same final equilibrium state under Option 2 as you did under Option 1.

Chet

for reaching out with your question. I can explain the concept of change in internal energy of a gas in thermodynamics.

First, let's define internal energy. It is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the particles that make up a system. In a gas, the particles are constantly moving and colliding with each other, resulting in changes in internal energy.

In thermodynamics, the change in internal energy (ΔU) of a gas is equal to the heat added to the system (Q) minus the work done by the gas (W). This can be expressed as ΔU = Q - W. Therefore, if the heat added to the system is zero (Q=0), then the change in internal energy is equal to the work done by the gas (ΔU = W).

Now, let's consider the adiabatic conditions you mentioned, where there is no heat transfer (Q=0). In this case, the change in internal energy of the gas is solely determined by the work done by the gas. This work can be done in various ways, such as by compressing the gas or by stirring it. The important thing to note is that the change in internal energy depends on the initial and final states of the gas, not the path taken to get there.

In other words, the change in internal energy is independent of the path taken between two points (A and B) in a thermodynamic process, as long as the initial and final states are the same. This is because the internal energy of a gas is a state function, meaning it only depends on the current state of the system and not the path taken to reach that state. Therefore, no matter how much or how little work is done on the gas, the change in internal energy will be the same.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your question. If you have any further doubts, please feel free to reach out.

What is the definition of internal energy in thermodynamics?

Internal energy in thermodynamics refers to the total energy contained within a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. It represents the sum of all microscopic energy stored in the molecules and atoms of a substance.

How does the change in internal energy of a gas occur?

The change in internal energy of a gas can occur through various processes such as heating, cooling, compression, or expansion. When a gas is heated, its internal energy increases as the molecules gain kinetic energy. Similarly, when a gas is cooled, its internal energy decreases as the molecules lose kinetic energy.

What factors affect the change in internal energy of a gas?

The change in internal energy of a gas is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume. Increasing the temperature or pressure of a gas will result in an increase in its internal energy, while decreasing these factors will result in a decrease in internal energy. Additionally, changing the volume of a gas can also lead to a change in its internal energy.

How is the change in internal energy of a gas related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This means that any change in the internal energy of a gas can be explained by the transfer of heat and the performance of work on the gas.

In what ways does the change in internal energy of a gas affect its physical properties?

The change in internal energy of a gas can affect its physical properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume. When the internal energy of a gas increases, its temperature and pressure also increase, while its volume decreases. Conversely, a decrease in internal energy results in a decrease in temperature and pressure, and an increase in volume.