Cleaning Brazed Plate Heat Exchanger

In summary, the conversation discusses possible methods for chemically cleaning a type of heat exchanger that has been contaminated with graphite impurities. The individual suggests using organic solvents, vinegar, and a hot solution of sodium hydroxide with a surfactant to effectively remove the impurities. They also mention the use of an ultrasonicator for quicker results, but caution about the flammability of one of the suggested chemicals.
malkio
Is there a way to chemically clean this type of exchanger from graphite impurities (tiny particles) ? is possible to chemically remove coke,soot,graphite at all? we clean it with xylene but that doesn't help
tnx

Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting question.

I've known organic solvents to be pretty good at cleaning brazed plate heat exchangers in combustion engine intercoolers before; recirculated fumes from the crankcase breather system can leave some pretty nasty carbon based deposits on the plates causing a reduction in efficiency.

However, I'm surprised to hear that xylene isn't effective. Let me know if you do find anything...

Take the simple approach and try vinegar.

Try a hot solution of sodium hydroxide in water if the material will hold up to it. A surfactant will help. Try dodecylbenzenesulfonate or Tide (about 1 to 2 %). Adding a little (5% by volume) of ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (DOW EB, active ingredient in Windex) and a percent of sodium metasilicate will have huge results. It will take time unless you have an ultrasonicator you can put the heat exchanger into. It will only take about 1/2 hour with heat, all of the above chemistry and the sonicator.

Remember that EB is flammable, so ventilation is required. Good luck!

1. How often should a brazed plate heat exchanger be cleaned?

The frequency of cleaning a brazed plate heat exchanger depends on several factors, such as the type of fluid being circulated, the level of impurities in the fluid, and the operating conditions. In general, it is recommended to clean the heat exchanger at least once a year, but it may need to be done more frequently in certain applications.

2. What is the best method for cleaning a brazed plate heat exchanger?

The most common method for cleaning a brazed plate heat exchanger is chemical cleaning. This involves using a solution of acid or alkaline to dissolve any buildup or deposits on the plates. Another method is mechanical cleaning, where brushes or high-pressure water is used to physically scrub the plates. The best method depends on the type and severity of fouling on the plates.

3. Can I use any type of cleaning solution for a brazed plate heat exchanger?

No, it is important to use a cleaning solution that is compatible with the materials of the heat exchanger. Using the wrong type of solution can cause damage to the plates and compromise the integrity of the heat exchanger. It is best to consult the manufacturer or a professional for guidance on the appropriate cleaning solution.

4. How do I know when a brazed plate heat exchanger needs to be cleaned?

A tell-tale sign that a brazed plate heat exchanger needs to be cleaned is a decrease in heat transfer efficiency. This can be observed through a rise in temperature or a decrease in fluid flow rate. Regular monitoring of the heat exchanger's performance can help determine when cleaning is necessary.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when cleaning a brazed plate heat exchanger?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when cleaning a brazed plate heat exchanger. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, ensuring proper ventilation in the cleaning area, and following the instructions on the cleaning solution carefully. It is also recommended to have a professional inspect and clean the heat exchanger to avoid any potential accidents or damage.