Determining Best Value of k for Compound Pendulum

In summary, there are three methods used to calculate the value of the radius of gyration, k for a bar and moment of inertia. These methods resulted in three different values for k, with method 1 being an outlier. To determine the best value, one must consider the uncertainties in each method and see if they overlap. It is important to critically examine the measurements and calculations to minimize uncertainties.
discombobulated

Homework Statement

I have calculated the value of the radius of gyration, k for a bar (and moment of inertia) and got three different values from three different methods. Now i need to determine which is the best value. I'm confused about how to do this, and how do i get the %uncertainty for k.

Value of k/m [Moment of Inertia / kgm2]
0.282 [8.93 x 10-3] (method 1)
0.289 [9.37 x 10-3] (method 2)
0.291 [9.49 x 10-3] (method 3)

(sorry i tried to separate this but for some reason it didn't work, so i used brackets to try and separate them)

Method 1 is from the intercept of the period squared x distance from centre of mass graph
Method 2 is from the dimensions of the bar
Method 3 from using the minimum time period

Homework Equations

T2D = 4/gπ2 D2 + 4/gπ2 k2 used in method 1

D = distance from centre of mass
T = radius of gyration
k = radius of gyrat
g= acceleration due to gravity

k = (1/12)(l2 + w2)1/2 used in method 2

k = (T2g)/ 8π2 used in method 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think that the experimental value in method 1 is very accurate because of the problems in measuring the period, so would the best value of k be from method 2?
Is there a set value that k is meant to be for a compound pendulum consisting of a wooden bar pivoted at different holes?
I'm quite confused about this and would be really grateful for any help in understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of the methods has its own measurement uncertainties that lead to uncertainties in the final answer which you can find by error propagation. Ideally, you should figure out each one separately and see if they overlap.

For example, it looks like the value from method 1 is an outlier. You need to examine it carefully and see whether there something that you did (or didn't do) to minimize the uncertainty. The intercept of the graph depends greatly on the distance from the point of support to the CoM. How accurately did you determine where on the object the CoM is? How well did you measure its distance from the point of support? You should come up with a number, say ± 3 mm. Then you can do two additional calculations using method 1 with the higher and lower values. See if either one comes closer to the other values. You mention that you think that there were "problems" measuring the period. What kind of problems? Usually, one measures the time for a good number of oscillations, say 10-20, and divides the total time by that number. One also starts the clock as the pendulum goes through the vertical at maximum speed because at maximum angle there is greater uncertainty as to when exactly the pendulum is instantaneously at rest.

This is just an example of what I mean when I say that you have to examine critically what you did with respect to introduction of uncertainties. Only you know what you did and didn't do so only you can figure that out.

1. What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body with a mass attached to it, suspended from a pivot point. Unlike a simple pendulum, which has a single point of support, a compound pendulum has multiple points of support and can swing in a more complex motion.

2. Why is it important to determine the best value of k for a compound pendulum?

The value of k, also known as the radius of gyration, is a crucial factor in calculating the period of oscillation for a compound pendulum. The period of oscillation is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. By determining the best value of k, we can accurately predict the period of oscillation and better understand the behavior of the pendulum.

3. How is the best value of k determined?

The best value of k can be determined through experimentation. By varying the value of k and measuring the period of oscillation for each value, we can plot a graph and determine the value of k that yields the most consistent and accurate results. This value can then be used in future calculations for the compound pendulum.

4. What factors can affect the best value of k for a compound pendulum?

The length and mass of the pendulum, as well as the location of the pivot point, can all affect the best value of k for a compound pendulum. Additionally, any external forces such as air resistance or friction can also impact the value of k.

5. How can the best value of k be used in real-world applications?

The best value of k is crucial in accurately predicting the period of oscillation for a compound pendulum, which can be used in various real-world applications. For example, it can be used to design and optimize pendulum clocks or to study the motion of objects in a pendulum-like motion, such as a swinging bridge or a swinging amusement park ride.