Current and electric field strength question

In summary, the wire carrying a current consists of three sections with different radii. The sections can be ranked in terms of greatest to least for current, current density, and electric field as follows: A = B = C for current, B > C > A for current density, and A > C > B for electric field. To determine which section has the greatest voltage drop, you can use the equation E = -ΔV/Δx and consider factors such as resistance, resistivity, and Ohm's Law. For more information on these concepts, refer to resources such as the link provided.
downwithsocks

Homework Statement

A wire carries a current and consists of three sections with different radii. Rank the sections according to the following quantities, greatest first: (a) current, (b) magnitude of current density, and (c) magnitude of electric field.

23vndwy.gif

Homework Equations

i = int(J).dA

The Attempt at a Solution

a) A = B = C since charge is conserved and the same amount of current must enter and leave each section. Is this correct?

b) From the given equation, J = i/A. So the cross section with the greatest area will have the lowest current density, thus B > C > A. Correct?

c) Intuition tells me A > C > B but I can't even really convince myself that that's correct let alone explain why with an equation, could anybody help me along?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which section has the greatest voltage drop? Then use: E=-ΔV/Δx .

I'm not sure how to tell which section has the greatest voltage drop...looking in my book I can't find an equation that relates voltage and area..

Resistance ? Resistivity ? Ohm's Law ?

V = IR? Wouldn't I need a value for the resistivity then?

downwithsocks said:
I'm not sure how to tell which section has the greatest voltage drop...looking in my book I can't find an equation that relates voltage and area..

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/resis.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between current and electric field strength?

The main difference between current and electric field strength is that current refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor, while electric field strength refers to the force experienced by a charged particle due to the presence of an electric field.

2. How are current and electric field strength related?

Current and electric field strength are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in one will result in an increase in the other, and vice versa.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current and electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A), while the unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How can the electric field strength be calculated?

The electric field strength can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge of that particle.

5. How does the direction of the electric field affect the current?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the current flow. The current will flow in the direction of the electric field, from a region of high electric potential to a region of low electric potential.