Current in a rectangle on a hinge

B}, and the angle between the two.In summary, the problem involves a hinged rectangular coil of wire in a uniform magnetic field. By using the equation τ=μ × B, where μ is the magnetic moment given by μ=NiA, the magnitude and direction of the torque acting on the coil can be found. The attempt at a solution involved plugging in numbers into the equations, but the angle used (30°) was incorrect and needs to be reconsidered in relation to the direction of the magnetic moment and the magnetic field.
lodovico
29_46.gif

Homework Statement

Figure 29-36 shows a rectangular, 15-turn coil of wire, 10 cm by 5.0 cm. It carries a current of 0.90 A and is hinged along one long side. It is mounted in the xy plane, at an angle of 30° to the direction of a uniform magnetic field of 0.50 T. Find the magnitude and direction of the torque acting on the coil about the hinge line.

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]=μ × B
μ=NiA

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this. I tried to plug in numbers into ^ formula

Physics news on Phys.org
If you'll show more details of how you tried the calculation, we will be able to see where you're having trouble.

τ=μ × B
μ=NiA

τ=NiABsin30
τ=(15)(.9)(.1*.05)(.5)sin30

τ=.16875 Nm

lodovico said:
τ=μ × B
μ=NiA

τ=NiABsin30
τ=(15)(.9)(.1*.05)(.5)sin30

τ=.16875 Nm

See if you can figure out why the 30o is not correct here. You'll need to think about the direction of [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex]

but I don't think I'm on the right track.
I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations that are relevant to the situation. In this case, we have a rectangular coil of wire carrying a current in a magnetic field, and we are trying to find the torque acting on the coil.

The key equations that are relevant here are the torque equation, which is given by τ=μ×B, and the equation for magnetic moment, which is given by μ=NiA.

To solve this problem, we need to first calculate the magnetic moment of the coil. We can do this by multiplying the number of turns (N) by the current (i) and the area of the coil (A). In this case, N=15, i=0.90 A, and A=10 cm x 5.0 cm = 50 cm^2. Converting to SI units, we get μ = (15)(0.90 A)(0.005 m^2) = 0.0675 A·m^2.

Next, we can calculate the torque by taking the cross product of the magnetic moment and the magnetic field. The direction of the torque will be perpendicular to both the magnetic moment and the magnetic field, according to the right-hand rule. In this case, the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field is 30°, so we can use the formula τ = μBsinθ. Plugging in our values, we get τ = (0.0675 A·m^2)(0.50 T)(sin 30°) = 0.0338 N·m.

Therefore, the magnitude of the torque acting on the coil is 0.0338 N·m, and the direction is perpendicular to both the magnetic moment and the magnetic field, in the direction determined by the right-hand rule.

In conclusion, by using the relevant equations and plugging in the given values, we were able to calculate the magnitude and direction of the torque acting on the coil about the hinge line. This approach can be applied to similar problems involving magnetic fields and electric currents.

1. What is "current in a rectangle on a hinge"?

"Current in a rectangle on a hinge" refers to the flow of electric current through a rectangular circuit that is connected to a hinge, allowing it to rotate freely.

2. How does current flow through a rectangle on a hinge?

The current flows through the rectangle on a hinge in a closed loop, entering and exiting through the opposite sides of the rectangle. The hinge allows the circuit to rotate, but the current flow remains constant.

3. What causes the current in a rectangle on a hinge to change?

The current in a rectangle on a hinge can change due to changes in the resistance or voltage of the circuit. This can also be caused by external factors such as magnetic fields or temperature changes.

4. How is the current in a rectangle on a hinge measured?

The current in a rectangle on a hinge can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current in a circuit. It can also be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance.

5. What are the practical applications of a rectangle on a hinge circuit?

A rectangle on a hinge circuit has practical applications in sensors, such as accelerometers and gyroscopes, which use the rotation of the circuit to measure changes in acceleration or orientation. It can also be used in robotics and other mechanical systems to control movement and position.