Design of an 'open' venturi water pump

In summary, Yorick22 is trying to design a ballast chamber which will be emptied with a venturi pump. He attached a schematic image of the idea to his post. Through pipe A, a liquid is pumped with around 150m3/h through a 6'' pipe. The narrowing of the pipe at the end will create a flow between the liquid in chamber '2' and the liquid in chamber '1'. The chamber is located 2 meters under water level, so there will be a pressure from underneath. There is an air hose that will add air to chamber '2' so it won't create a vacuum.
Yorick22
Hello

For my study I'm making a specific design

I'm trying to design a ballast chamber which i want to empty with a venturi pump

I attached a schematic image of the idea

Through pipe A a liquid is pumped with around 150m3/h through a 6'' pipe.
The pipe is narrowed at the end, with a space between the narrowed part en the underside of the chamber.
The idea is that the liquid from chamber '2' will be pulledbecause of the flow from 'A' trough the narrowing to 'C'.

The whole chamber is located 2 meters under water level, so there will be a water pressure from underneath.
There is an air hose that will add air to chamber '2' so it won't create a vacuum

My question is: Does this idea even work (under water) and how can i calculate the sizes and volumes that will be pumped away from chamber '2'

Thank you in advance!
open venturi.PNG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yorick22 said:
Does this idea even work (under water)
Yes.
Yorick22 said:
sizes and volumes that will be pumped away from chamber '2'
Without specific details --- ?

Yorick22, Since you have only given very limited information about your total system, all that be said is that in principal with the right design, operating pressures etc you may be able to use a jet pump design to achieve what you want. However, as they say, the devil is in the details. In that respect I recommend that you visit the below website that can give you information and guidance on jet pump operating criteria.

http://www.arcoengineering.com/pen/Penberthy_LL_LM_LH_GL_GH_Pumping_Liquids_AE.pdf

There are a number of other available online academic discussions regarding jet pumps but none get directly done to the basics of applying one.

I am new to the forum so I hope posting a link to an established manufacturers technical information does not violate any of the forum rules.

1. What is a venturi water pump?

A venturi water pump is a type of pump that uses the principle of Bernoulli's equation to create a vacuum and draw water through a constricted section of pipe, known as a venturi, into a larger section of pipe where it is then pumped out. This design allows for a more efficient and energy-saving method of pumping water.

2. How does an 'open' venturi water pump work?

In an 'open' venturi water pump, water is drawn into the venturi through the constriction due to the decrease in pressure caused by the higher velocity of water passing through the narrow section. The water then enters a larger chamber where it is pumped out. This design is also known as a suction pump.

3. What are the advantages of using an open venturi water pump?

Some advantages of using an open venturi water pump include its high efficiency, low cost, and simple design. It also does not require any external power source, making it ideal for remote locations or emergency situations.

4. What are the key factors to consider when designing an open venturi water pump?

The key factors to consider when designing an open venturi water pump include the diameter and length of the venturi, the shape of the constriction, and the flow rate of the water. It is also important to consider the materials used to ensure durability and prevent corrosion.

5. How can I improve the performance of an open venturi water pump?

To improve the performance of an open venturi water pump, you can experiment with different shapes and sizes of the venturi, adjust the flow rate of the water, and use materials that are resistant to corrosion. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the pump can also help maintain its efficiency.