Doppler Effect and absolute simultaneity

In summary: R) is the spatial coordinate of R and t_S(I) is Einstein-time in I).In summary, the Doppler shift formula relates two proper time intervals measured in two different inertial reference frames, I and I'. The formula is (tau)=D(tau)', where D is the Doppler factor that depends on the relative speed of the frames. This formula can also be used to explain absolute simultaneity, where two events simultaneous in one frame will also be simultaneous in all other frames. This is similar to Selleri's approach, where the absolute simultaneity equation can be linked to the Doppler shift formula in Leubner coordinates.
bernhard.rothenstein
The Doppler shift formula relates two proper time intervals measured in I and I' respectovely
(tau)=D(tau)'
D representing a Doppler factor that depends on the relative speed of I and I'. By definition the events involved in I and I' respectively take place at the same point in space. If the two involved events are simultaneous say in I they are simultaneous in I' as well and vice-versa.
The time intervals measured by clocks synchronized using the "everyday clock" synchronization procedure are related by a Doppler shift like formula. Could that be an explanation of the absolute simultaneity: two events simultaneous say in I and taking place at the same point in space are simultaneous in all inertial reference frames.
We find the same situation in the case of Selleri's approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
bernhard.rothenstein said:
The Doppler shift formula relates two proper time intervals measured in I and I' respectovely
(tau)=D(tau)'
D representing a Doppler factor that depends on the relative speed of I and I'. By definition the events involved in I and I' respectively take place at the same point in space. If the two involved events are simultaneous say in I they are simultaneous in I' as well and vice-versa. The time intervals measured by clocks synchronized using the "everyday clock" synchronization procedure are related by a Doppler shift like formula.
If you look at the absolute simultaneity equation for "left-to-right" Leubner coords

[tex]t_S(I) = \gamma \left(1 + \frac{v}{c} \right) t_S(R)[/tex]​

which I obtained in this post, you will see that

[tex] \gamma \left(1 + \frac{v}{c} \right) = \sqrt{\frac{1 + \frac{v}{c}}{1 - \frac{v}{c}}} = D[/tex]​

which is precisely the doppler factor between the frames I and R. This is no coincidence.

Imagine light being sent event e at the origin of the R frame at time

[tex]t_S(R)(e) = \tau(R)(e)[/tex]...(1)​

(remember Einstein-time, Leubner-time and proper time are all the same at the spatial origin).

It is received event r at the origin of the I frame at time

[tex]t_S(I)(r) = \tau(I)(r)[/tex]...(2)​

But because of the way S-time is defined we must have

[tex]t_S(I)(r) = t_S(I)(e)[/tex] ...(3) and
[tex]t_S(R)(r) = t_S(R)(e)[/tex] ...(4)​

Combining (1) with (4), and (2) with (3), and using the doppler equation

[tex]\tau(I)(r) = D \tau(R)(e)[/tex]​

we get

[tex]t_S(I)(e) = D t_S(R)(e)[/tex] and
[tex]t_S(I)(r) = D t_S(R)(r)[/tex]​

the same absolute simultaneity equation (evaluated at both events e and r) as before.

bernhard.rothenstein said:
Could that be an explanation of the absolute simultaneity: two events simultaneous say in I and taking place at the same point in space are simultaneous in all inertial reference frames. We find the same situation in the case of Selleri's approach.
I don't really understand this. The general absolute simultaneity equation

[tex]t_S(I) = a(I) t_S(R)[/tex]...(A)​

is measuring the same event in two different coord systems I and R, whereas the doppler shift equation

[tex]t_S(I)(r) = \tau(I)(r) = D \tau(R)(e) = t_S(R)(e)[/tex]​

is measuring two different events e and r in (effectively) two different coords systems I and R. It's only in Leubner coords we can link the two.

(NOTE: the absolute simultaneity equation (A) could also be written

[tex]\frac{\partial t_S(I)}{\partial x_s(R)} = 0[/tex]​

Last edited:

The concept of the Doppler Effect and absolute simultaneity are both important principles in understanding the behavior of time and space in different reference frames. The Doppler Effect, as described in the content, shows that the measurement of time can be affected by the relative speed of two reference frames. This means that the time intervals measured in two different reference frames will be different due to the Doppler factor.

On the other hand, absolute simultaneity refers to the idea that events happening at the same point in space can be considered simultaneous in all inertial reference frames. This is in contrast to the concept of relative simultaneity, where the simultaneity of events is dependent on the observer's reference frame.

The content suggests that the Doppler shift formula could potentially explain the concept of absolute simultaneity. This is because the formula shows that the time intervals measured in different reference frames are related by a Doppler factor, indicating a connection between the two frames.

Additionally, the use of "everyday clock" synchronization, where clocks are synchronized based on the speed of light, also supports the idea of absolute simultaneity. This is because the speed of light is considered constant in all reference frames, meaning that the time intervals measured using this method would be the same in all frames.

Similarly, Selleri's approach, which also supports the idea of absolute simultaneity, can be seen as another explanation for the relationship between the Doppler Effect and absolute simultaneity. This approach suggests that the speed of light is not the same in all directions, which could also affect the measurement of time in different reference frames.

In conclusion, the Doppler Effect and absolute simultaneity are two important concepts in understanding the behavior of time and space in different reference frames. While the Doppler shift formula and the use of "everyday clock" synchronization can provide some explanation for the idea of absolute simultaneity, further research and exploration are needed to fully understand this concept.

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, as the pitch of a siren or engine changes as it passes by a stationary observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect relate to absolute simultaneity?

The Doppler Effect is closely related to the concept of absolute simultaneity, which is the idea that all events occur simultaneously regardless of the observer's frame of reference. In the case of the Doppler Effect, the perceived frequency and wavelength of a wave is dependent on the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This means that the perception of simultaneity can vary depending on an observer's frame of reference.

3. Can the Doppler Effect be observed in all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and even water waves. The only requirement is that there must be relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer for the effect to be observed.

4. How is the Doppler Effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications in science and technology. For example, it is used in weather forecasting to track the movement of storm systems, in medical imaging to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to determine the motion of celestial objects. It is also used in everyday technology, such as radar and sonar systems, to detect the motion of objects.

5. Is the concept of absolute simultaneity widely accepted in the scientific community?

The concept of absolute simultaneity is a topic of ongoing debate in the scientific community. Some theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, reject the idea of absolute simultaneity and instead propose that the perception of simultaneity is relative to an observer's frame of reference. However, there are still some scientists who argue for the existence of absolute simultaneity. It remains a topic of ongoing research and discussion in the scientific community.