E&M Question -- Maxwell's Equation in matter reduce to Maxwell's equation in a vacuum....

ParticleGinger6
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement:
Maxwell's Equation in matter reduces to Maxwell's equation in vacuum if polarization and magnetization are zero?
Relevant Equations:
They can be found in the attached photo
I do not know where to start.

Attachments

• Chegg 5.6.20.JPG
    Chegg 5.6.20.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 117

Answers and Replies

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How are polarization (i.e. the Polarization Vector Field) and magnetization (i.e. Magnetization Vector Field)\\ related to the vector fields [itex] \vec D [/itex] , [itex] \vec E [/itex], [itex] \vec B [/itex], and [itex] \vec H [/itex]?

ParticleGinger6
@robphy so i found the equations D = epsilon*E and H = (1/mu)*H where epsilon = epsilon(not)*(1+Xe) and mu = mu(not)*(1+Xe). I think if I use that convert D into terms of P which would look like P = D - epsilon(not)*E and H = B/(mu(not)*(1+Xe)). From there you can get Magnetization from M = Xm*H

Am I on the right track

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes... but use [itex] \epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex] \mu_0[/itex] instead of the [itex] \chi[/itex]s.

ParticleGinger6
@robphy I believe I figured it out. So by using D = epsilon(not)E + P and H = B/mu(not) - M I was able to get to
dell * E = rou/epsilon(not) and dell cross B = mu(not)*J + mu(not)*epsilon(not)*(curly(d)*E/curly(d)t) for part a
Then for part b
I used P = epsilon(not)*X*E to get dell*E = rou/epsilon(not)
I used M = Xm*H to get dell cross B = mu(not)*J + mu(not)*epsilon(not)*(curly(d)*E/curly(d)t)
Both assuming mu approaches mu(not) and epsilon approaches epsilon(not)

Suggested for: E&M Question -- Maxwell's Equation in matter reduce to Maxwell's equation in a vacuum....

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views