Electric Fields problem: Can someone please check my work?

In summary: It looks like you have used too many significant figures in your result.So:In summary, the E-field at a point 4.0 cm to the left of a -3nC charged object, with a +4nC charge 6/0 cm along a horizontal line toward the right, is approximately +13,280 N/C, to the right.
goooogle
"a +4nC charge is 6/0 cm along a horizontal line toward the right of a -3nC charged object. Determine the E field at a point 4.0 cm to the left of the negative charge."

From what I understand, it goes Point ___ 4cm ____ (-3nC) _____ 6cm ____ (+4nC)

Using that, I got the answer to be -14.75 nC but I'm very unsure of myself. Can someone check?

Physics news on Phys.org
goooogle said:
"a +4nC charge is 6/0 cm along a horizontal line toward the right of a -3nC charged object. Determine the E field at a point 4.0 cm to the left of the negative charge."

From what I understand, it goes Point ___ 4cm ____ (-3nC) _____ 6cm ____ (+4nC)

Using that, I got the answer to be -14.75 nC but I'm very unsure of myself. Can someone check?
Hello goooogle. Welcome to PF !

You have the layout correct.

Can you explain how you got that answer?

For sure, the units are not correct.

SammyS said:
Hello goooogle. Welcome to PF !

You have the layout correct.

Can you explain how you got that answer?

For sure, the units are not correct.

Well, I did

((K)(-3 x10^-9))/(.04^2) + ((K)(4x10^-9)/(.1^2) which gets me -13275. From there, I did -13725 = ((K)(X))/(.1^2) which comes out to -14.75 nano coloumbs.

Is that right? Is .1 the right distance for the second part?

goooogle said:
Well, I did

((K)(-3 x10^-9))/(.04^2) + ((K)(4x10^-9)/(.1^2) which gets me -13275. From there, I did -13725 = ((K)(X))/(.1^2) which comes out to -14.75 nano coloumbs.

Is that right? Is .1 the right distance for the second part?
For the first part: What is the direction of the E-field due to the negative charge? What is the direction of the E-field due to the positive charge?

What are the units of the number -13275 ?What second part. You didn't mention a second part in the question.

SammyS said:
For the first part: What is the direction of the E-field due to the negative charge? What is the direction of the E-field due to the positive charge?

What are the units of the number -13275 ?What second part. You didn't mention a second part in the question.

The direction for the E-field because of the negative charge would be to the right, so +? In that case, it'd be 16875 - 3600, which is +13275. So I understand that, I think. The units are N/C. The second part was just desperation, trying to find a step I missed.

So I take it +13275 N/C is my final answer?

goooogle said:
The direction for the E-field because of the negative charge would be to the right, so +? In that case, it'd be 16875 - 3600, which is +13275. So I understand that, I think. The units are N/C. The second part was just desperation, trying to find a step I missed.

So I take it +13275 N/C is my final answer?
Your result looks okay for magnitude, units, and direction. Be sure to round any result that is to be presented as a final answer to the correct number of significant figures.

Likes SammyS

Related to Electric Fields problem: Can someone please check my work?

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force on a charged particle at a given point in space. It is created by charged particles and can be either positive or negative.

2. How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the electric force on a charged particle by the magnitude of the particle's charge. This is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the electric force, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What are some real-life examples of electric fields?

Some examples of electric fields in daily life include the force between a charged balloon and a wall, the force between a charged comb and hair, and the force between two charged particles.

4. How do you draw an electric field diagram?

An electric field diagram is typically drawn using arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points in space. The arrows point away from positive charges and towards negative charges. The length of the arrows represents the strength of the electric field.

5. Can you check my work on an electric field problem?

As a scientist, I am not able to check your specific work on an electric field problem without more information. However, I can provide guidance and answer any questions you may have about the concept and calculations involved in solving the problem.