How Do You Calculate the Charge and Mass of Sodium and Chlorine Ions?

In summary: When two atoms come close to each other they will release protons and electrons. This creates a electric field. The magnitude of the electric field is proportional to the square of the distance between the atoms. In this experiment, two atoms were released and they passed each other. My question is how far away from each other did they have to be for this to happen?
glid02
Here is the question:

A uniform electric field of magnitude 604 N/C exists between two parallel plates that are 3.66 cm apart. A proton is released from the positive plate at the same instant that an electron is released from the negative plate. Determine the distance from the positive plate at which the two pass each other. (Ignore the electrical attraction between the proton and electron.)

Repeat the calculation for a sodium ion (Na+) and a chlorine ion (Cl-).

I found part 1 using qE/2m*t^2 = xf, plugging in both charges and their masses and solving for t^2 then plugging that back into qE/2m*t^2 for the proton.

My question is how to find the charge and masses of the sodium and chlorine ions. My best guess is to use their atomic weight and subtract the weight of one proton or one electron, and for their charge use the charge of one proton or one electron. Can anyone back me up on this?

Thanks a lot,
Gregg

Physics news on Phys.org
Atoms don't become ions by gaining or losing a proton. The sodium ion has a positive charge because it loses an electron. The chlorine ion has a negative charge because it gains an electron.

glid02 said:
My question is how to find the charge and masses of the sodium and chlorine ions. My best guess is to use their atomic weight and subtract the weight of one proton or one electron, and for their charge use the charge of one proton or one electron. Can anyone back me up on this?
I can't follow what you are doing in the first part to comment. I would create an expression for relative separation and determine where that = 0.

As for your 'guess', just use their molar weight divided by avogradro's number. The ion is just missing an electron (not a proton) and the difference due to the missing electron's weight is negligible.

AM

1. What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a physical phenomenon that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. It is created by the interaction of positive and negative charges.

2. How are electrical fields measured?

Electrical fields are measured using a device called an electrostatic voltmeter, which measures the voltage or potential difference between two points in an electric field. The unit of measurement for electrical fields is volts per meter (V/m).

3. What is an ion?

An ion is an atom or molecule that has gained or lost one or more electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge. Ions are created when atoms or molecules interact with electrical fields or other charged particles.

4. How do ions interact with electrical fields?

Ions are affected by electrical fields because they have a net charge, either positive or negative. Depending on the strength and direction of the electrical field, ions can be attracted or repelled, causing them to move within the field.

5. How are electrical fields and ions related to electricity?

Electrical fields and ions are directly related to electricity because they are both involved in the movement of electrically charged particles, which is what creates an electric current. Without electrical fields and ions, electricity as we know it would not exist.