Electronic component type (what would do this?)

In summary, Dave wants an uninterruptible power supply that will recharge the battery while the power is off. There are no good options for this, as any device that would do this would also be an uninterruptible power supply.
tim9000
I was going to make a modem uninteruptable power supply, and I was thinking (possibly over complicated) that I could have a relay with the solenoid that has a potential over the battery bank and the power supply, so there would be near zero volts potential when the power supply was on (and charge the batteries to the level of the supply ~12v), then when the power supply failed a potential of 12v or so would be over the solenoid and cause it to trip.
I was wondering if there was a component that:
When the input is a voltage, then the output is a open circuit, and when the input is open circuit, the output is a Short. Would there be like an Opto-coupler that goes open circuit when the diode is on?

Or if there is a solid sate component that could do this all integrated, that I haven't thought of...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
charger ---Diode----Battery----Diode----Load
charging circuit dimensioned for maintanence load of the battery
or something like this
http://www.ccareswa.org/resources/tips/061220.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
scanvas said:
charger ---Diode----Battery----Diode----Load
charging circuit dimensioned for maintanence load of the battery
or something like this
http://www.ccareswa.org/resources/tips/061220.php [Broken]
yeah thanks, but I want to totally disconnect the battery from the load, while keeping it totally charged.
I am also curious if there is a component that acts like that, like if there is an opto-coupler that is off when it's on and vice versa.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You wanted first an uninteruptable power supply and now it should be totally disconected? o0) You should know what You want.

The Diodes in the link disconect either one line or the other line totally, as current does not flow back while charged. But when needed because of impact, current flows automatically to the load as You wanted first.

Suplementary If You want to disconnect the battery while not loaded what's the sense of uninterruptable supply? You can introduce as many switches or relais or diodes You want to disconect whatever You want.

The name of Your device that does that is diode or switch or relais and for some there are also more sophisticated electronic pendants as transistors and SCRs - use an image search engine and type something like "battery charger switch circuit"

or use this link
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=battery+charger+switch+circuit+

or consult a doctor - good reconvalescence!

Last edited:
scanvas said:
You wanted first an uninteruptable power supply and now it should be totally disconected? o0) You should know what You want.
That's not what I meant, they're not mutually exclusive, I was intending on having a capacitor to bridge the small gap in time between the relay flicking over. I'm aware of issues with USPs that I'm trying to design around.
scanvas said:
The name of Your device that does that is diode or switch or relais and for some there are also more sophisticated electronic pendants as transistors and SCRs - use an image search engine and type something like "battery charger switch circuit"

or use this link
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=battery+charger+switch+circuit+

or consult a doctor
And no, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something much simpler like an opto-coupler with a NOT logic arrangement built in, however I'd like to know what other (higher rated) options there were, because I don't want to conceive capasitive or restive voltage dividers to drive a mosfets for something that should be simple for a solid state component now days.

tim9000 said:
That's not what I meant, they're not mutually exclusive, I was intending on having a capacitor to bridge the small gap in time between the relay flicking over. I'm aware of issues with USPs that I'm trying to design around.

what @scanvas is telling you is correct, You told us you wanted a UPS
but what you then say, negates the purpose of a UPS

NOTE carefully what the U in UPS stands for = Uninterruptible

so do you really want a UPS or not ?Dave

davenn said:
what @scanvas is telling you is correct, You told us you wanted a UPS
but what you then say, negates the purpose of a UPS

NOTE carefully what the U in UPS stands for = Uninterruptible

so do you really want a UPS or not ?Dave
Well if you have a capacitor to bridge the gap, the operation is still uninterrupted.
I just wanted something that could recharge but wouldn't dissipate charge, I suppose it would look something like this:
phFs.png

excuse simplicity and crudity.

Sooo...no good?

1. What is an electronic component?

An electronic component is a basic unit used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electricity. It can be a single device, such as a resistor or capacitor, or a combination of devices, such as an integrated circuit.

2. What are the different types of electronic components?

Some common types of electronic components include resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. Each type has a specific function in a circuit and can be used to control the flow of electricity in different ways.

3. What does an electronic component do?

The function of an electronic component depends on its type. For example, a resistor limits the flow of electricity, while a capacitor stores and releases electrical charge. Other components, such as diodes and transistors, can be used to control the direction and amount of electricity flowing through a circuit.

4. How do I choose the right electronic component for my project?

Choosing the right electronic component for a project depends on factors such as the desired function, power requirements, and size constraints. It is important to research and understand the specifications of each component and how they will interact with other components in the circuit.

5. Can I mix different types of electronic components in a circuit?

Yes, it is common to use a combination of different electronic components in a circuit. In fact, many circuits require a variety of components to function properly. It is important to understand the function and compatibility of each component before incorporating it into a circuit.