EMF induced in a rotating rod having mass

In summary: But yes, you have the right idea about finding the net torque and setting it equal to zero. So, in summary, the conversation is about calculating induced emf and torque about point O, and then finding the current and emf = IR. The goal is to have the rod rotate at constant angular velocity, which means there is no net torque on the rod. This is a torque balance problem, and to solve it, a free body diagram is needed to find the net torque and set it equal to zero.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question is put in Attempt at a solution.
Relevant Equations
emf induced in a rotating rod = Bwr##^2##/2
15654559849541435203991.jpg

I first calculated induced emf and then calculated torque about O.But what will i do further.I think i need to find current and then fidn emf=IR.
Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. It is supposed to go in "Attempt at a solution" but now it has to go in separate post. Ask yourself, "What does it mean to have the rod rotate at constant angular velocity?"

kuruman said:
Please show your work. It is supposed to go in "Attempt at a solution" but now it has to go in separate post. Ask yourself, "What does it mean to have the rod rotate at constant angular velocity?"
it means that there is not external torque that is torque of mg is balanced by torque of induced current.

kuruman said:
i have shown how much i have proceeded far.Now i cannot do it further.

Physics lover said:
It means that there is not external torque that is torque of mg is balanced by torque of induced current.
And where is the equation that says that? Parenthetically, there are two external torques. What you meant to say is that there is no net torque. Right? This is a torque balance problem. What does one normally do with such problems? Hint: Free body diagram.

kuruman said:
And where is the equation that says that? Parenthetically, there are two external torques. What you meant to say is that there is no net torque. Right? This is a torque balance problem. What does one normally do with such problems? Hint: Free body diagram.
ok i think i got that.The emf to be find out will have its own torque =IBL which will balance the torque of mg and induced current.Am i right?

Physics lover said:
ok i think i got that.The emf to be find out will have its own torque =IBL which will balance the torque of mg and induced current.Am i right?
You are right except that IBL is a force, not a torque.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it.

2. How is EMF induced in a rotating rod with mass?

EMF is induced in a rotating rod with mass when the rod moves through a magnetic field, causing the electrons in the rod to experience a force and creating a flow of electric current. The amount of EMF induced depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the length and mass of the rod.

3. What is the relationship between EMF and the mass of a rotating rod?

The mass of a rotating rod does not directly affect the amount of EMF induced. However, a heavier rod may require more force to rotate at the same speed, which could affect the amount of EMF induced. Additionally, the mass of the rod may affect its ability to transfer and dissipate heat generated by the induced current.

4. How does the speed of rotation affect EMF induction?

The faster a rod rotates through a magnetic field, the more EMF will be induced. This is because the rate of change of the magnetic field is greater, leading to a stronger force on the electrons and a higher induced current.

5. Can EMF induction be used in practical applications?

Yes, EMF induction is used in many practical applications, such as generators, electric motors, and induction cooktops. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the relationship between magnetism and electricity.