Film Winder Force and Torque Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses a real-life problem involving a machine that winds film. The goal is to determine the torque and force needed for specific conditions shown in a diagram, with the only unknown variable being F_T2. Roll #2 begins with no film and ends as a large roll with film, and is driven by both a hydraulic and electric motor. The OP is unsure about the accuracy of their equations of motion and the direction of friction (F_f). However, due to too much time passing, clarifying questions cannot be asked.
wannabe_genius
This is an actual real-life problem. There is a machine that winds film at my work. I need to determine the torque required (T_2) and force needed (N) for the conditions showed in my diagram when all variables except F_T2 are known.

Roll #2 begins with no film and ends as a large roll with film. The piston applies the force (N) on the roll via the winder arm. Roll #2 is driven by a hydraulic motor which suppies torque. Roll #2 is driven by an electric motor which supplies torque (T_1).

I'm not sure if my equations of motion are correct. I am also unsure if my friction (F_f) dircections are correct.

Attachments

• winder_diagram2.jpg
    winder_diagram2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
This can't be answered without first asking the OP certain clarifying questions. Unfortunately, too much time has passed.

1. What is film winder force and torque?

Film winder force and torque refer to the amount of force and torque required to wind a film onto a spool or reel during the film production process.

2. Why is it important to calculate film winder force and torque?

Calculating film winder force and torque is important for ensuring the film is properly wound onto the spool, minimizing the risk of damage or distortion during the production process.

3. How is film winder force and torque calculated?

Film winder force is typically calculated by measuring the tension of the film as it is wound onto the spool. Torque is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the center of the spool to the point where the force is applied.

4. What factors can affect film winder force and torque?

The thickness and type of film, the speed at which it is wound, and the diameter of the spool can all affect the force and torque required to wind the film. Other factors may include the type of machinery used and external environmental conditions.

5. How can film winder force and torque be optimized?

To optimize film winder force and torque, it is important to carefully select the appropriate spool size and type for the specific film being used. Additionally, regular maintenance and calibration of machinery can help ensure consistent and efficient winding.