Finding equivalent resistance in complex circuit

In summary, equivalent resistance is a single resistance value that can replace a complex circuit without affecting the current or voltage. To find it, identify series and parallel resistor combinations and use Ohm's law and the equations for series and parallel resistors. Equivalent resistance can be higher or lower than individual resistances, depending on the circuit configuration. It is important to find equivalent resistance as it simplifies the circuit and aids in selecting appropriate resistors. It can also be calculated for circuits with other components, although the methods may vary.
agoogler
In my previous question , situated here, I asked about finding the equivalent resistance of the following circuit :
5EMUd.png

I got some very good answers and some tips. Now what if the same circuit is modified by adding two more resistors on the free connecting wires like this :
attachment.php?attachmentid=62397&stc=1&d=1380724111.png

How should I find the equivalent resistance now ?
I probably can't redraw the circuit as mentioned in answers to my previous question since every wire has a resistor on it.

Attachments

• res2.png
    res2.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 2,498
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a Wheatstone bridge. It cannot be solved by either parallel or series methods. You must use Kirchhoff's rules

1. What is equivalent resistance in a complex circuit?

Equivalent resistance is the single resistance value that can replace a complex circuit without changing the current or voltage in the circuit. It is calculated using Ohm's law and the rules for series and parallel resistors.

2. How do you find equivalent resistance in a complex circuit?

To find equivalent resistance, first identify all series and parallel resistor combinations in the circuit. Then, use the equations R = V/I and 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn to calculate the total resistance of the circuit.

3. Can equivalent resistance be higher or lower than individual resistances?

Equivalent resistance can be either higher or lower than individual resistances, depending on the circuit configuration. In series circuits, the equivalent resistance is always higher than any individual resistor. In parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance is always lower than any individual resistor. In more complex circuits, it can be a combination of both.

4. Why is it important to find equivalent resistance in a complex circuit?

Finding equivalent resistance allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and calculate the current and voltage in the circuit. It also helps in selecting appropriate resistors for a desired circuit behavior.

5. Can you find equivalent resistance in circuits with other components besides resistors?

Yes, equivalent resistance can also be calculated for circuits with other components such as capacitors and inductors. However, the equations and methods used may differ from those used for resistors.