Fluid Mechanics: Pressure Question

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the indicated pressure and mass of air in a tire using the combined gas law and equation of state for ideal gas. The solution for part i) is shown, but there is uncertainty about calculating the volume in part ii), which is necessary to solve for the mass of air using the ideal gas law. The shape of the tube is described as a torus and it is suggested to calculate the volume in a straightforward manner.
MechEngJordan

Homework Statement

A tyre pressure gauge indicates 20 N/cm2 for a tire at 34°C after a fast motorway run. Assuming that the volume of the air in the tyre is constant, atmospheric pressure is 760 mmHg and the air gas constant is 0.287 kJ/kg.K:

i) Estimate the indicated pressure when the tyre has cooled to 10°C.

ii) If the tyre is treated as a tube of cross-sectional area 0.015 m2 rolled into a ring of mean diameter 0.035 m, estimate the mass of air in the tyre.

Homework Equations

Combined Gas Law:

[tex]\frac{p_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{p_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

Equation of State for Ideal Gas:[tex]pV = mRT[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For i)

Converting units into SI and recognising volume = constant gives:

[tex]\frac{p_1}{T_1}=\frac{p_2}{T_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_1T_2}{T_1}=p_2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(200kPa)(283.15K)}{307.15K}=p_2[/tex]

[tex]p_2 = 184kPa[/tex]

I am unsure how exactly how to proceed with ii)

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate the volume inside the tire given the data in part ii?

If you know the volume, the temperature, and the pressure, can you calculate the mass of air consistent with these properties?

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
Do you know how to calculate the volume inside the tire given the data in part ii?

If you know the volume, the temperature, and the pressure, can you calculate the mass of air consistent with these properties?

I am unsure of how I would calculate the volume -- which is particularly annoying, as I am aware that would solve my problem by application of the ideal gas law.

The shape of the tube is called a torus. Think of it as a cylinder with the ends connected. Calculate the volume in the obvious, straightforward fashion.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the help.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which are liquids and gases, and how they interact with forces such as pressure and gravity.

2. What is pressure in fluid mechanics?

Pressure in fluid mechanics is the force per unit area that a fluid exerts on its surroundings. It is a measure of how much force is applied to a surface by the fluid molecules colliding with it.

3. How is pressure calculated in fluid mechanics?

Pressure in fluid mechanics is calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the surface area on which the force is applied. The SI unit for pressure is pascal (Pa).

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic pressure in fluid mechanics?

Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid when it is not in motion, while dynamic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid when it is in motion. Dynamic pressure is typically greater than static pressure due to the added force of the fluid's movement.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Some real-world applications of fluid mechanics include designing airplanes and other aircrafts, determining the flow of water in pipes for plumbing systems, and studying the movement of blood in the human body. It is also used in the design of pumps, turbines, and other machinery that involves the movement of fluids.