What is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction and Acceleration in a Pulley System?

In summary: It is the force that Block B is applying to Block A to keep it from moving. Additionally, Block B is descending at a constant speed, so its acceleration is also constant.
Soaring Crane
Block A has weight w_A and block B has weight w_B. Block A is positioned on the horizontal surface of a table. Block A is connected to a cord passing over an easily turned pulley that has Block B hanging down from the pulley. Once Block B is now set into downward motion, it descends at a constant speed.

a. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between Block A and the tabletop.

I drew Block A's force diagram. For this part, I am assuming Block A is not in motion as yet; it is just sitting on the tabletop. (Is this correct?)

Well, F_fr = mu_K * F_N and the normal force = w_A.

F_fr = mu_k*w_A

mu_k = F_fr/w_A

But I think this is somewhat incorrect. Musn't I express mu_k with the known variables give. What is the Value for F_fr? :confused:

b. A cat, also of weight w_A, falls asleep on top of block A. If Block B is now set into downward motion, what is its acceleration (magnitude and direction)? Express a in w_A, w_B, and g.

Well, I am unsure of the F_fr expression. This is what I did for this part.

For Block A, the expression is now F_T - F_fr = [(2*w_A)/g]*a
For Block B, ---------------------w_B - F_T = (w_B/g)*a

Adding these two expressions, I get

w_B - F_fr = [(2*w_A)/g]*a + (w_B/g)*a
w_B - F_fr = a[(2*w_A + w_B)/g]

a = [w_B - F_fr]/[(2*w_A + w_B)/g]
a = g*[(w_B-F_fr)/(2*w_A + w_B)]

But I don't know what to put for F_fr as noted in the first part.

Are my reasonings and math that I did do correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Block A has weight w_A and block B has weight w_B. Block A is positioned on the horizontal surface of a table. Block A is connected to a cord passing over an easily turned pulley that has Block B hanging down from the pulley. Once Block B is now set into downward motion, it descends at a constant speed.

a. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between Block A and the tabletop.

I drew Block A's force diagram. For this part, I am assuming Block A is not in motion as yet; it is just sitting on the tabletop. (Is this correct?)

Well, F_fr = mu_K * F_N and the normal force = w_A.

F_fr = mu_k*w_A

mu_k = F_fr/w_A

But I think this is somewhat incorrect. Musn't I express mu_k with the known variables give. What is the Value for F_fr?
One may assume block A has zero velocity.

To find F_fr, what is F_fr opposing? What is the significance of Block B descending at constant speed?

F_fr = w_B, but when I plug this value into the expression for a that I found, acceleration would be 0. According to Newton's First Law, a body that has constant velocity and, therefore, 0 acceleration is acted on by no net forces. Where do I go from here?

Soaring -- didn't your last post just answer your own question? In your first post, you wanted to know what F_fr was. So, what is it?

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can change the motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other common types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

How do forces affect an object?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. They can also cause an object to deform, or break if the force is too great.

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a rope or cable and a wheel with a groove to lift or move objects. It can change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

What are some real-life applications of forces and pulley systems?

Forces and pulley systems are used in various industries, such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They are also used in everyday objects, like elevators, cranes, and exercise machines.