1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the Fourier cosine series for [tex]\[f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
    1,x = 0 \\
    10,x = \pi \\
    x,x \in (0,2\pi ) - \left\{ {0,\pi } \right\} \\
    \end{array} \right.\][/tex], find a series that converges to [tex]\[\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {{x^2}dx} \][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For the Fourier cosine series, I need the even extention of f(x), that is, [tex]\[f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
    - x,x \in ( - 2\pi ,0) - \left\{ {0, - \pi } \right\} \\
    10,x = - \pi \\
    1,x = 0 \\
    10,x = \pi \\
    x,x \in (0,2\pi ) - \left\{ {0,\pi } \right\} \\
    \end{array} \right.\][/tex]. Now, [tex]\[\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {{x^2}dx} \][/tex] = [tex]\[2\left\| {f(x)} \right\|_2^2\][/tex], so I can use Parseval's equality, right?

But if that's correct, I'm unable to find a series that converges to that defined integral, since it has constant terms: [tex]\[\frac{8}{3}{\pi ^3} = \frac{{{\pi ^3}}}{4} + \frac{8}{\pi }\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{{(2n - 1)}^4}}}} \][/tex]

Evidently, I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Is it the cosine series? Is it the convergence of the series? Or is it that I can't use Parseval's?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    OK, I just realized that the even extention is wrong. But that would solve anything if I still have the a0 term in the series.

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    Anybody? I still can't solve it. And the even extension is OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook