Using the Fourier Cosine Series for Integral Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier cosine series to find a series that converges to the integral of x^2 from 0 to 2pi. The attempt at a solution involves finding the even extension of the function and using Parseval's equality, but there is difficulty in finding a series that converges due to constant terms. The issue is still unresolved and there is confusion about whether the even extension is correct and whether Parseval's equality can be used.
libelec

Homework Statement

Using the Fourier cosine series for [tex]\[f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
1,x = 0 \\
10,x = \pi \\
x,x \in (0,2\pi ) - \left\{ {0,\pi } \right\} \\
\end{array} \right.\][/tex], find a series that converges to [tex]\[\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {{x^2}dx} \][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the Fourier cosine series, I need the even extention of f(x), that is, [tex]\[f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
- x,x \in ( - 2\pi ,0) - \left\{ {0, - \pi } \right\} \\
10,x = - \pi \\
1,x = 0 \\
10,x = \pi \\
x,x \in (0,2\pi ) - \left\{ {0,\pi } \right\} \\
\end{array} \right.\][/tex]. Now, [tex]\[\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {{x^2}dx} \][/tex] = [tex]\[2\left\| {f(x)} \right\|_2^2\][/tex], so I can use Parseval's equality, right?

But if that's correct, I'm unable to find a series that converges to that defined integral, since it has constant terms: [tex]\[\frac{8}{3}{\pi ^3} = \frac{{{\pi ^3}}}{4} + \frac{8}{\pi }\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{{(2n - 1)}^4}}}} \][/tex]

Evidently, I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Is it the cosine series? Is it the convergence of the series? Or is it that I can't use Parseval's?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I just realized that the even extention is wrong. But that would solve anything if I still have the a0 term in the series.

Anybody? I still can't solve it. And the even extension is OK.

What is the Fourier cosine series method for integral calculation?

The Fourier cosine series method is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals, or calculations involving areas under curves. It involves breaking down a function into a series of cosine functions and using these components to approximate the integral value.

How does the Fourier cosine series method work?

The Fourier cosine series method works by representing a function as a sum of cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. By manipulating the coefficients of these cosine functions, the integral value can be approximated to a desired degree of accuracy.

What are the advantages of using the Fourier cosine series method for integral calculation?

One of the main advantages of using the Fourier cosine series method is that it can be used to solve a wide range of integrals, including those that cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques. It also allows for a more accurate approximation of the integral value compared to other numerical methods.

Are there any limitations to using the Fourier cosine series method for integral calculation?

While the Fourier cosine series method is a powerful tool for solving integrals, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for functions with discontinuities or highly oscillating components. Additionally, it may require a large number of terms in the series to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

How does the use of the Fourier cosine series method compare to other methods for integral calculation?

The Fourier cosine series method is one of many numerical methods that can be used to approximate integrals. It is particularly useful for functions that have a periodic nature, as it can accurately capture the periodic behavior of the function. Other methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, may be more suitable for non-periodic functions or those with discontinuities.