1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency difference in two springs with different stiffness factors

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Your niece is working on a unique science fair project - a clock built around a small mass vibrating on a little spring. Her prototype version is working ok, but it's running too slow. Given your experience in this course, you suggest to her that a stiffer spring should oscillate faster, so she goes out and finds a new one with stiffness constant ("K") that is a factor 2.2 times larger than the prototype spring. How many times larger is the frequency of the new version than the old one? (If you think the new frequency is 2 times the old one, enter 2.0)

2. Relevant equations

This is where the problem is lying for me. I'm attempting to use F = 1/2pi*square root of K/M. I'm unable to find the numbers to complete the K/M at all in this question.

3. The attempt at a solution

F= (1/2pi)=(.159)
    (.159)*Square root of K/M

I cannot figure out what K and M should be and am clueless as to how I find the frequency out of this question and compare the two stiffness.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You don't need the actual numbers. Set up a ratio of the frequencies. Hint: If the original spring constant is K, the new one is 2.2K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook