Logic Circuit Design Homework Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a logic circuit for a nuclear power plant's danger sensors and a prime number checker. For the danger sensors, there are three sensors, X, Y, and Z, and a backup sensor, B. The plant is to be shut down if two of the three sensors indicate danger, with the exception being if only sensor Z registers danger. The solution involves using a Karnaugh map to simplify the expression XY + Z for the output. For the prime number checker, the expression A'B'C + B'CD + A'BD + BC'D is derived from a truth table and Karnaugh map. There is no further way to simplify this expression.
hallerman

Homework Statement

1. A nuclear power plant contains three danger sensors X, Y and Z that can shut down the plant. Sensor Z is in such a senstive location that it has a backup B. The plant is to be shut down if two of the three sensors indicate danger. However, with exception, sensor Z is the only registering danger sensor so that the plant to be shut down. Design the logic circuit of danger sensors.

2. Let A, B, C and D represent the binary digits of a decimal number in the range 0 to 15. Construct a simplified expression and draw the logic circuit diagram that will give a prime number checker.

Homework Equations

Karnaugh map and truth table

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I have no idea how to incorporate the back-up and also what the third sentence means. Any clues, please?

2. I got Y = A'B'C + B'CD + A'BD + BC'D from the Karnaugh map. Is that the correct simplified expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
hallerman said:
A nuclear power plant contains three danger sensors X, Y and Z that can shut down the plant. Sensor Z is in such a senstive location that it has a backup B. The plant is to be shut down if two of the three sensors indicate danger. However, with exception, sensor Z is the only registering danger sensor so that the plant to be shut down. Design the logic circuit of danger sensors.
That is too ambiguous to arrive at a single solution.

However, were it an exam question there is no point in evading it, so I'd nominate the interpretation I'd use and arrive at a solution based on that interpretation.

If B is the backup for Z, then it is probably intended that the plant shut down if 2 out X,Y and B go high, in addition to shutting down if Z goes high.

However, I am not comfortable with this interpretation as it deprecates the term "backup", because I don't have B acting as a true backup. But I can't see any other way of including the "2 out of 3" guide.

2. Let A, B, C and D represent the binary digits of a decimal number in the range 0 to 15. Construct a simplified expression and draw the logic circuit diagram that will give a prime number checker.

2. I got Y = A'B'C + B'CD + A'BD + BC'D from the Karnaugh map. Is that the correct simplified expression?
Write the list of numbers that this expression will signal as prime.

If you have a k map, you have at least went through part of the design process. Why are you questioning your k map? Are you not sure of the truth table or that you have processed the k map correctly?

hallerman said:

Homework Statement

1. A nuclear power plant contains three danger sensors X, Y and Z that can shut down the plant. Sensor Z is in such a senstive location that it has a backup B. The plant is to be shut down if two of the three sensors indicate danger. However, with exception, sensor Z is the only registering danger sensor so that the plant to be shut down. Design the logic circuit of danger sensors.

1. I have no idea how to incorporate the back-up and also what the third sentence means. Any clues, please?

How can you hope to implement a design if you don't understand the specifications? You expect us to guess what the problem is? Ask your teacher what he means and get back to us.

freezer said:
If you have a k map, you have at least went through part of the design process. Why are you questioning your k map? Are you not sure of the truth table or that you have processed the k map correctly?

I have done the k map. I'm only hoping that you might check if the answer's correct, as I might have made a mistake in my solution. Please!

LCKurtz said:
How can you hope to implement a design if you don't understand the specifications? You expect us to guess what the problem is? Ask your teacher what he means and get back to us.

I've talked with the teacher. The backup has no utility in this problem. I did the problem by two different methods:

1. Output = XY + YZ + ZX + Z = XY + Z
2. I formed the truth table for X, Y, Z & Output, and then, I did a k map and got the same answer.

Are both methods equally valid?

hallerman said:
I've talked with the teacher. The backup has no utility in this problem. I did the problem by two different methods:

1. Output = XY + YZ + ZX + Z = XY + Z
2. I formed the truth table for X, Y, Z & Output, and then, I did a k map and got the same answer.

Are both methods equally valid?

Yes, both methods are valid but sometimes a K-map gives a simpler implementation. But I have no confidence in what the problem actually requires. Your solution is to shut down the plant if either Z or both X and Y activate. If that is what is required, why doesn't the problem say that, and why does it mention the backup B if it is irrelevant?

I would give your instructor an F for that problem statement if you have quoted him exactly.

LCKurtz said:
I would give your instructor an F for that problem statement if you have quoted him exactly.

I think I agree with you. :rofl:

Btw, I got Y = A'B'C + B'CD + A'BD + BC'D for the four-bit prime number checker. I'm wondering if there's any way to further simplify this expression. I haven't found any way, hence my question.

1. How do I approach solving logic circuit design homework problems?

The first step in solving logic circuit design homework problems is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, you can use logic diagrams, truth tables, and Boolean algebra to analyze the circuit and determine the appropriate design. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to practice with similar problems beforehand.

2. What are the most common types of logic gates used in circuit design?

The most commonly used logic gates in circuit design are AND, OR, NOT, NAND, and NOR gates. These gates can be combined to create more complex circuits and are the building blocks of digital systems. Other types of gates, such as XOR and XNOR, are also used in specific applications.

3. How do I simplify complex logic circuits?

To simplify complex logic circuits, you can use Boolean algebra laws and theorems to reduce the number of gates and inputs needed. Additionally, you can use Karnaugh maps to visually group and simplify the logic expressions. It is also important to understand the different levels of abstraction and to use them appropriately to simplify the circuit design.

4. What are some common troubleshooting techniques for logic circuit design?

If a logic circuit is not functioning correctly, some common troubleshooting techniques include checking for any open or short circuits, verifying the correct input and output values, and using a logic probe or oscilloscope to analyze the signals. It is also important to double-check the circuit design and to make sure all components are connected correctly.

5. How can I check my logic circuit design for errors?

To check for errors in your logic circuit design, you can use simulation software or breadboarding to test the circuit before implementing it in a physical system. It is also helpful to have a peer or instructor review your design and to carefully check all steps and calculations in your solution. Additionally, double-checking the truth table and logic diagrams can help catch any errors.