Multivariable calculus problem

In summary, @andrewkirk thinks that the author's second solution could be done with those two integrals, but the y limits on the last triple integral are wrong. Clara Chung says that always use a sketch when changing coordinates or orders of integration.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

44.png

48.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached the problem and solution. I don’t know how to do part b even I have looked at the solution. How to transform the original cartesian equation to the semi cylindral coordinate equation? Is there is systematical way to transform it without thinking about the sketch?

Attachments

• 44.png
    44.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 6,173
  • 48.png
    48.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 4,262
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral is a 'volume integral', meaning a function (in this case the function ##z\mapsto 2z##) is integrated over a 3D volume (in this case V).

The formulas for volume integrals are set out on this wiki page. That is what they have used for the first triple integral on the last formula line in the OP. That is the integral of the function ##z\mapsto 2z## over the sector of the cone with cylindrical angle coordinate ##\theta## between ##-\pi/4## and ##\pi/4##. They then take away the integral over the part of the cone above triangle with vertices (0,0,0), ##(1/\sqrt2,-1/\sqrt2,0),\ (1/\sqrt2,1/\sqrt2,0)##.

However I think the formula is wrong because they need to take away another two volumes from the cone sector in the first term, to match the original volume V. Those are (1) the part of the cone sector with ##y<-1/\sqrt2## and (2) the part of the cone sector with ##y>1/\sqrt2##. So the formula should consist of four triple integrals, not two. The last two can be combined and multiplied by 2, since they give the same value, but as far as I can see, they can't get away with only two triple integrals if they start with a cylindrical integral over a cone sector.

Further, given that those last two triple integrals are messy, I suspect it would be easier just to do the whole thing in Cartesian cords.

I disagree with @andrewkirk: The author's second solution can be done with those two integrals, but the y limits on the last triple integral are wrong. The y limits should be -x to x. Then both methods give ##\frac \pi 8 - \frac 1 6##.
And @Clara Chung: No. You should always use a sketch especially when changing coordinates, or orders of integration for that matter.

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions with multiple variables, often in three-dimensional space. It extends the principles of single-variable calculus to functions with two or more independent variables.

2. What are some common applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables, such as the motion of objects in space, fluid flow, and optimization problems.

3. How is multivariable calculus different from single-variable calculus?

The key difference between multivariable and single-variable calculus is that multivariable calculus deals with functions of multiple independent variables, whereas single-variable calculus deals with functions of just one independent variable. This means that multivariable calculus involves working with vectors, matrices, and multiple derivatives and integrals.

4. What are some important concepts in multivariable calculus?

Some of the important concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, gradients, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. These concepts are used to analyze functions with multiple variables and to solve optimization and optimization problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of multivariable calculus?

To improve your understanding of multivariable calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus and linear algebra. You can also practice solving multivariable calculus problems and work on building your intuition for visualizing and manipulating functions with multiple variables. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.