Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with electric circuit

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    I have a circuit in which I have a constant voltage passing through until I hold down on a button at which point the voltage drops to zero. When I let go of the button the voltage returns to normal. I need to add to the circuit a switch which activates when a voltage of zero is passing through and remains turned on until a voltage of zero is again passing through.
    How Can I do this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google Normally Closed Switch.

Multi pole relays have both normally open and normally closed contacts. Look for NO and NC on the case switch diagram.
  4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    Voltage cannot pass through components in a circuit. Voltage is a quantity measured across terminals in a circuit. Only current can pass through components in a circuit. Any way from your question I guess you may have to use a negative edge triggered Toggle Flip Flop. The output of toggle flipflop should be connected to a relay.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook