1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net ionic equations helppppp.

1. YES I AM..a month and 2 days, but hey?who's counting ;)

2. NO!school rocks to the hundredth degree and is therefore > summerrrrrr

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    i'm studying for my apchem exam. and rightnow; i'm currently reviewing my net ionic equations. but there's something i'm confused about in my ap chem book.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the equation is:
    CaF2 (aq) + 2HCl (aq) ---> 2HF (aq) + CaCl2 (aq)
    and then the book says that the ionic equation is:
    Ca2+ (aq) + 2F- (aq) + 2H+ (aq) + 2Cl- (aq) --> 2HF (aq) + Ca2+ (aq) + 2Cl (aq)

i understand when there's a solid (precipitate) you don't write it all out. because it doesn't dissolve. but wouldn't you write 2HF all out, as in you would write: 2H+ (aq) and 2F- (aq), or is there some other rule that i don't know about??

thanks to anyone who can help. i'd appreciate ittt :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2
    come on guysssss.you can do this.
    i believeeeee.
  4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    this is a method of extracting hydrofluoric acid!! whereby CaF2 is an ore known as fluorite....well coming back to your problem...

As you know, acids exist as molecules in pure state. but when added to water... they dissociate.

e.g. HCl <------> H* + Cl-

HCl dissociates completely (or so) in aqueous mediem i.e water.... and so, exists as H* and Cl-

but HF does not dissociate completely. it has a very much lower tendency to ionise in water....and therefore exists mainly as HF molecules instead of H* and Cl-.... it's all about ionic equillibrium..... in which i'm not very expert!!!

hope to have helped you
  5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    oh okayy. thanks.
    that helps a lottt :)
    thanks superduper much.
    ps: were you the one that said "school rocked to the 1000th degree?"
    because that's just strangeeeeee.
    in a good way :)
  6. May 2, 2007 #5
    :confused: nope....i don't think so...duh
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?