Net Ionic Equations: How to Write and Balance Them

• Thread starter oceanflavored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the conversation is about studying for an AP Chemistry exam and reviewing net ionic equations. The question arises about writing out 2HF in the ionic equation and whether it should be written as 2H+ (aq) and 2F- (aq). The answer is that HF does not dissociate completely in water and therefore exists as HF molecules instead of ions. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert for their help.

who's excited for summmerrrr?

• Total voters
oceanflavored
i'm studying for my apchem exam. and rightnow; I'm currently reviewing my net ionic equations. but there's something I'm confused about in my ap chem book.

Homework Statement

the equation is:
CaF2 (aq) + 2HCl (aq) ---> 2HF (aq) + CaCl2 (aq)
and then the book says that the ionic equation is:
Ca2+ (aq) + 2F- (aq) + 2H+ (aq) + 2Cl- (aq) --> 2HF (aq) + Ca2+ (aq) + 2Cl (aq)

i understand when there's a solid (precipitate) you don't write it all out. because it doesn't dissolve. but wouldn't you write 2HF all out, as in you would write: 2H+ (aq) and 2F- (aq), or is there some other rule that i don't know about??

thanks to anyone who can help. i'd appreciate ittt :)

Physics news on Phys.org
come on guysssss.you can do this.
i believeeeee.

this is a method of extracting hydrofluoric acid! whereby CaF2 is an ore known as fluorite...well coming back to your problem...

As you know, acids exist as molecules in pure state. but when added to water... they dissociate.

e.g. HCl <------> H* + Cl-

HCl dissociates completely (or so) in aqueous mediem i.e water... and so, exists as H* and Cl-

but HF does not dissociate completely. it has a very much lower tendency to ionise in water...and therefore exists mainly as HF molecules instead of H* and Cl-... it's all about ionic equillibrium... in which I'm not very expert!

hope to have helped you

oh okayy. thanks.
that helps a lottt :)
thanks superduper much.
ps: were you the one that said "school rocked to the 1000th degree?"
because that's just strangeeeeee.
in a good way :)

:confused: nope...i don't think so...duh

Related to Net Ionic Equations: How to Write and Balance Them

What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only shows the participating ions and omitting the spectator ions. It represents the actual chemical change that is taking place in a reaction.

Why are net ionic equations useful?

Net ionic equations allow us to focus on the main chemical reaction that is occurring in a solution, without being distracted by the spectator ions. This makes it easier to understand and analyze the reaction.

How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, start by writing the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the spectator ions and remove them from the equation, leaving only the participating ions. Finally, balance the charges on both sides of the equation if necessary.

Can you have a net ionic equation for a reaction in solid state?

No, net ionic equations are only used for reactions that occur in aqueous solutions. In solid state reactions, the ions are not dissociated and therefore cannot be written in ionic form.

What is the difference between a net ionic equation and a complete ionic equation?

A complete ionic equation shows all the ions present in a reaction, including the spectator ions. A net ionic equation only shows the participating ions, omitting the spectator ions. Therefore, the net ionic equation is a simplified version of the complete ionic equation.