Drawing Orbital overlap diagram for ammonia

In summary, the conversation discusses four different attempts at drawing an orbital overlap diagram for NH3, and the question of whether hybridization is necessary. The expert suggests that all of the diagrams are valid since they are cartoonish representations, but personally prefers attempt #2. They also mention that hybridization may not be necessary for nitrogen, based on the example of water.
Evangeline101

Homework Statement

upload_2016-10-4_4-38-52.png

Homework Equations

none
This is how I was taught to draw orbital overlap diagrams in my lesson:

upload_2016-10-4_4-38-17.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have drawn four attempts for a possible orbital overlap diagram of NH3:

Attempt # 1:
upload_2016-10-4_5-10-8.png

For this one, are the atoms arranged correctly? should it be two hydrogen at the bottom and one at the top?

Attempt # 2:

upload_2016-10-4_5-15-6.png

For this one, it doesn't really follow the example taught in the lesson, but does it make sense to do it like this?

Attempt # 3:

upload_2016-10-4_5-20-30.png

should I be hybridizing it...? Attempt # 4:
upload_2016-10-4_5-23-0.png

Can someone please tell me which and if any of these diagrams are correct?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
These "Orbital Overlap Diagrams" are very cartoonish representations, so it is hard to say which is wrong or right. I like attempt #2, as it is neater. In the example of water, no hybridization is used for the oxygen, therefore I would guess that it is not necessary to use hybridization for N.

1. What is an orbital overlap diagram?

An orbital overlap diagram is a graphical representation of the overlapping atomic orbitals in a molecule. It shows how the atomic orbitals combine to form molecular orbitals.

2. How is an orbital overlap diagram for ammonia drawn?

To draw an orbital overlap diagram for ammonia, you would start by drawing the Lewis structure of ammonia, which shows the arrangement of the atoms and lone pairs. Then, you would draw the individual atomic orbitals of each atom involved in the bond formation. Finally, you would overlap the atomic orbitals to show the formation of molecular orbitals.

3. What do the colors and shapes in an orbital overlap diagram represent?

The colors and shapes in an orbital overlap diagram represent the different types of orbitals involved in the bond formation. For example, the blue and red colors represent the positive and negative phases of the atomic orbitals, while the different shapes represent the different types of atomic orbitals (s, p, d, etc.).

4. What information can be obtained from an orbital overlap diagram?

An orbital overlap diagram can provide information about the type and strength of the bonds in a molecule. It can also show the spatial orientation of the atomic orbitals and the resulting molecular orbitals.

5. Why is an orbital overlap diagram important in understanding chemical bonding?

An orbital overlap diagram is important because it helps us understand how atomic orbitals combine to form molecular orbitals, which are responsible for the formation of chemical bonds. It also provides a visual representation of the bond formation process, making it easier to understand the nature of chemical bonding in a molecule.