Question about pulley with relative motion

In summary, the acceleration of the 9N block relative to the small pulley can be calculated using the equation g/4 + g/2 = 3g/4 ms^-2. The tension on the string will vary due to the rotational inertia of the small pulley.
pcpssam
v48021i223.png

for part(i) the answer is g/4 + g/2 = 3g/4 ms^-2
how to calculate the acceleration of the 9N blcok relative to the small pulley to be g/4??
Did I miss something?
thank you so much!o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
pcpssam said:
[IMG ]http://upload.lsforum.net/users/public/v48021i223.png[/PLAIN]

for part(i) the answer is g/4 + g/2 = 3g/4 ms^-2
how to calculate the acceleration of the 9N block relative to the small pulley to be g/4??
Did I miss something?
thank you so much!o:)
The small pulley has rotational inertia. Therefore, the tension on the string supporting the 3N particle is different than tension on the string supporting the 9N particle.

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system is made up of one or more wheels with a rope or belt running along the groove of the wheel. When one end of the rope is pulled, the wheel turns and moves the load attached to the other end of the rope. This allows for the weight to be lifted with less effort.

2. Can a pulley system change the direction of motion?

Yes, a pulley system can change the direction of motion. By using multiple pulleys and changing the direction of the rope, the load can be moved in different directions. This is useful when space is limited or when the load needs to be moved to a specific location.

3. How does relative motion affect a pulley system?

Relative motion refers to the motion of an object in relation to another object or reference point. In a pulley system, relative motion can affect the amount of force needed to lift a load. For example, if the pulley is moving with the load, less force is needed to lift it compared to a stationary pulley.

4. Can a pulley system be used to lift objects of any weight?

Yes, a pulley system can be used to lift objects of any weight as long as the system is designed to handle the weight. Multiple pulleys can be used to distribute the weight and make it easier to lift heavier objects.

5. What are the advantages of using a pulley system?

There are several advantages to using a pulley system. It can make it easier to lift heavy objects, change the direction of motion, and distribute weight. It also allows for more control and precision when lifting objects. Additionally, pulley systems are simple and cost-effective compared to other methods of lifting and moving heavy loads.